Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote

5 Year Member
Hey folks, I am looking into Tortoises as the next addition to my family. Right now I'm still in the research phase, signing up and looking over these forums being part of that. I have not yet cared for a tortoises, my wife and her mother have cared for California Desert Tortoises though a foundation that cared for tortoises that were unable to return to the wild due to injuries or other problems. Outside tortoises, I have cared for cats(still got 2), dogs, chickens, frogs, fish(still got some), a eastern box turtle (as its shell healed from a run in with a car) an iguana, a bearded dragon (Norris can be found on www.beardeddragon.org :) ) of course my wife trumps me with haveing been a zookeeper. Right now it appears that the Greek tortoise see to be the best suited for my limitations, present and probable future climates(we are in Vegas but are likely to move to somewhere you don't catch fire by being outside(as hot as 150 surface temp), like Oregon or the East Coast) . I would be looking for a hatchling because I don't believe that wild caught should be supported. Thank you for the informative posts of the many people here that will help me avoid the problems often had with the care and feeding of these wonderful animals.

Now as I read though the copious information, if anyone would like to offer suggestions on the most informative of threads or other sites, or just some suggestions of your own I would be glad to educate myself. And of course forgive me for my run on sentences and other points of bad grammar.

Coyote

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Coyote:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

Since you're thinking of moving to the northern west coast, I think you should be researching what kinds of tortoise can live in that climate. I understand it rains quite a bit there and your tortoise would probably have to spend a lot of time indoors. I don't think that is a good environment for a desert-type tortoise. You might be able to keep a redfoot indoors.

It can be done, but you have to consider all the costs involved in keeping him warm and dry during the cold spells.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Just remember, there could not be any captive breeding with out some wild caught predecessors. There is nothing wrong with wild caught if it is done correctly and not over-done. Buying a captive bred tortoise IS supporting and rewarding the act of catching and removing them from the wild.

I hope we are able to help you with your educational goals.

Coyote

5 Year Member
Hey there Emysemys, Name's Sean but Coyote works, and yeap, I'll have to take a second look at redfoots then, I was thinking they might have been too big as an adult but they are gorgeous, as for the Greeks, I was looking at the Hermann's type (due to slightly less arid climate) but it would have been a Golden if I was stuck in vegas forever (IE I'm probably gonna be here for another 10 years or so)

hehe I know Tom, I'm not silly, but perhaps I should have stated myself better as to not insult others and myself. I agree with you about the if done properly and not overdone, but there is often little control over this. And I know there are pitfalls in captive breeding as well but I feel to less of an extent. Oh thank you so much for your pyramiding tread, it has helped me get that confusing subject nailed down in my mind and I would agree with you and I hope we are both right =)

Coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.