Greetings from Habanero

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrskane

5 Year Member
This is our 3 1/2 year old (just a guess) sulcata, Habanero......Habby for short. I found him trying to cross the street as a wee little infant about 3 years ago. Knowing nothing about him at the time, aside from his being really stink'n cute, I brought him home and placed him in the tub with some water and a few lettuce leaves. We took him to our local reptile shop the next day and to our surprise, we learned he was a Sulcata.......the second largest tortoise next to the Galapagos!! What did we get ourselves into?!?

Needless to say, we have grown incredibly attached to him and had no idea a tortoise could have so much personality! He is a permanent member of our family and can't imagine not having him! It is a never-ending learning experience and look forward to meeting other tortoise lovers and getting some useful tips through this wonderful forum!!!

~The Kanes

Attachments

• habby1.jpg
    habby1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 51
  • habby2.jpg
    habby2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 29

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi "vrskane:"

Welcome to the forum!!

vrskane

5 Year Member
Like I said, I'm totally guessing on the age. He was pretty small when we found him and he has just been growing like crazy since. He's like a fish, the bigger we make his home, the bigger he gets!

franeich said:
Seems big for 3 1/2

pongpagong

5 Year Member
Welcome!!!!

Actually Sulcata is the third largest tortoise..the first is the geochelone elephantopus or the galapagos then the geochelone gigantea or the aldabra tortoise and then the Sulcata.Your sulcata it seems big for 3 1/2 years old..again Welcome!!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Welcome to the forum! Like Torty Mom said, both of your babies are cute :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Habby is very good looking. You have done a great job with him. I am guessing he has added a bit of spice to your life. :D Cute little one you have,too! Glad your here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking Habby is a girl because of the small gular.

You said in your enclosure post that Habby was about the size of your palm 3 1/2 years ago when you found her. That would make her about 7 or 8 years old. Its pretty hard to guess the age of a well fed, captive tortoise because they grow better and bigger than one not fed so well.

At any rate...she's a nice-looking tortoise and you've done a good job with her.

vrskane

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and comments. The baby in the photo is not ours, though she is pretty darn cute!

Habby had his first wellness check today. I took him to see Dr. Brown in Highland/San Bernardino and she was wonderful! I highly recommend her if anyone lives in the area. As many of you have said, it's hard to pin down his age, but she was guessing him to be in the 5-7 year range. All checked out great with him and he has only a mild respiratory infection, which we will need to flush out with saline for a couple of weeks. So in this crazy tortoise world that we threw ourselves into a few years ago, I guess we're not doing half bad!

Oh, and we definitely know he's a boy, as we have had the rare pleasure (sarcastic) of seeing his very odd looking genitalia. Apparently, they are not seen very often, thus making sexing them difficult. Maybe a little TMI, but there you have it!

vrskane said:
This is our 3 1/2 year old (just a guess) sulcata, Habanero......Habby for short. I found him trying to cross the street as a wee little infant about 3 years ago. Knowing nothing about him at the time, aside from his being really stink'n cute, I brought him home and placed him in the tub with some water and a few lettuce leaves. We took him to our local reptile shop the next day and to our surprise, we learned he was a Sulcata.......the second largest tortoise next to the Galapagos!! What did we get ourselves into?!?

Needless to say, we have grown incredibly attached to him and had no idea a tortoise could have so much personality! He is a permanent member of our family and can't imagine not having him! It is a never-ending learning experience and look forward to meeting other tortoise lovers and getting some useful tips through this wonderful forum!!!

~The Kanes

Forgot about the Aldabra. :)

pongpagong said:
Welcome!!!!

Actually Sulcata is the third largest tortoise..the first is the geochelone elephantopus or the galapagos then the geochelone gigantea or the aldabra tortoise and then the Sulcata.Your sulcata it seems big for 3 1/2 years old..again Welcome!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

For not knowing anything about tortoises you've done a really good job, he's a nice looking gentleman. Forgive Yvonne, she's still guessing sexing. She trying to learn, I just let someone else tell what sex they are.
Be sure to give the name of that Vet to one of the moderators so they can add it to our Vet list...Yvonne, Jacqui and Kristine are a couple of the mods...Just PM the address of that vet...thanks ever so

vrskane

5 Year Member
Dr. Brown is already on the list.....that's where I found her! :)

maggie3fan said:
For not knowing anything about tortoises you've done a really good job, he's a nice looking gentleman. Forgive Yvonne, she's still guessing sexing. She trying to learn, I just let someone else tell what sex they are.
Be sure to give the name of that Vet to one of the moderators so they can add it to our Vet list...Yvonne, Jacqui and Kristine are a couple of the mods...Just PM the address of that vet...thanks ever so

vrskane

5 Year Member
Ooops.......sorry! I got the name of the vet wrong! We went to Dr. Brothers in Highland, not Dr. Brown. Dr. Brothers is listed with the forum.

maggie3fan said:

Status
Not open for further replies.