Greetings, fellow carapace-bearing reptilian lovers!

BeastTamer303

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
My name is Robert, I personally love all reptilians, including the tortoises, I joined this forum to get some advice and assistance for my tortoise I have and possible future tortoises I will end up scooping up

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Robert, and welcome to the Forum. What kind of tortoise do you have?

BeastTamer303

Mississippi
One of my favorites!!
Is it just safe to go outside and scoop up any type of moss and call it substrate for their enclosure? Because I went outside and scooped up some moss and put it in there for her substrate and called it a day, and she seems to be burrowing into it and sleeping for long periods of time, for context, she is a young tortoise that was scooped up from the wild, it is summer time where I live rn, and the constant temperature for the house (overall house, not her enclosure) is 70 degrees, and it is soft and easy for her to tread on, why is she doing this, then?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you just scooped her up then you need to put her back where you found her.
It's never right to take from the wild. In some states, it's illegal. They don't usually do very well either or are harder to get adjusted.
So if it hasn't been that long since you got her, return her.
Otherwise, those that have box turtles can further assist you

BeastTamer303

Mississippi
If you just scooped her up then you need to put her back where you found her.
It's never right to take from the wild. In some states, it's illegal. They don't usually do very well either or are harder to get adjusted.
So if it hasn't been that long since you got her, return her.
Otherwise, those that have box turtles can further assist you
It was somebody else who scooped her up, I think I've had her for a good few weeks at this point, I'm just trying to give her a good home, I don't think it's illegal to own wild box tortoises in Mississippi though...?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah I have no idea which states are illegal.
It is a box turtle though, not a box tortoise.
If you can set her up outside that would be best. Then only have an indoor enclosure for winter.
The outside will give her the best uvb, access to worms and bugs and you would just have to supplement. She needs a little water area she can get into and even swim in. She also needs lots of shade but still sunny area too.
@Maggie3fan

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Illegal to sell.
Not illegal to possess.
So. Not a good idea. But petfectly legal.

BeastTamer303

Mississippi

Illegal to sell.
Not illegal to possess.
So. Not a good idea. But petfectly legalt
Thank you for educating me on this, but like I said: I was given her as a pickup-wild-animal gift, and I cherish her because she is an endangered turtle. All my motives are to keep her are to give her a good and happy life away from any threats, as she and her kind are endangered, I feel the need to protect her and love her

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you for educating me on this, but like I said: I was given her as a pickup-wild-animal gift, and I cherish her because she is an endangered turtle. All my motives are to keep her are to give her a good and happy life away from any threats, as she and her kind are endangered, I feel the need to protect her and love her
At some point, it becomes more dangerous to re-release a turtle or tortoise that has been in captivity than to just continue to keep it as a pet. And lucky for you, Box Turtles make great pets.
You will, of course, want to make him/her a large outdoors enclosure to give him his best life.
Welcome to the forum

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

I couldn't find a current. Cohesive box turtle care sheet here. So I took this off of the internet.
While I hope that it's mostly true and up to date information. I don't keep Boxies. So I'm not sure.
I'm sure someone else will be along to correct any of the incorrect information. But hopefully it'll be enough to get you going

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How about some photos so we can id the turtle correctly? It's 'probably' an Eastern box turtle...is it sorta red? With red eyes? My friend ZEROPILOT has provided a care sheet for you...We prefer that wild turtles stay in the wild, but that's kinda too late for that...SO...we will help you create a great enclosure for him.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

Here is a kinda old care sheet right here on TFO...I keep box turtles, they are so easy to keep. You will need an outside enclosure and an inside one. If you cannot make an outside habitat safe from predators, you are gonna have to have 2 habitats and you'll have to move him out in the morning, and inside the house at night. So these care sheets will give you an idea on how to care for him...we like photos of him and his enclosure, so we can help...welcome...

zovick

10 Year Member!
My name is Robert, I personally love all reptilians, including the tortoises, I joined this forum to get some advice and assistance for my tortoise I have and possible future tortoises I will end up scooping up
Hi Robert. Glad you found this forum. It will be quite helpful to you.

Depending upon exactly where in the state of Mississippi your Box Turtle was found, it could be one of three different subspecies. They are the Eastern Box Turtle, the Three-toed Box Turtle, and the Gulf Coast Box Turtle. Do you know the name of the town and/or the county where it was found? If so, I can help you try to ID which one of the three it could be.

Also if you can post a couple pix of it, that would also help to ID the turtle better.

Good luck with it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Yeah, I mostly keep them indoors now.I live in a area not suitable to keeping then outdoors currently but hopefully that changes soon. I'm looking to move out into the country and building a greenhouse outdoor enclosure for everyone I have

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome - visiting mississippi is on my list :cool:
Taking on a tortoise or turtle needs time, understanding and investment to provide the best conditions heat, water, environment, diet etc to thrive. On here you will get advise so if you stuck ask.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yeah, I mostly keep them indoors now.I live in a area not suitable to keeping then outdoors currently but hopefully that changes soon. I'm looking to move out into the country and building a greenhouse outdoor enclosure for everyone I have
That second one...the yellow, oh my what a color. I keep tortoises as well, but my box turtles are my favorite...