Greenhouse plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
If I purchase plants (pansies, hibiscus, succulents, and air) from a nursery, how can I get them decontaminated from the pesticides and fertilizer and how long does it take?
I have organic soil to plant into, but wondered what advice the experts could offer on this.
Growing from seeds hasn't been working to well accept with a few different lettuces and dandelions.

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm not exactly sure how long it'd take for all the chemicals to be leached out. I'd replant into something like plain topsoil and compost, removing as much existing dirt that came with the plant. Then I'd water with plain water for at least 3 months. Hopefully someone more experienced chimes in.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
This is a great question/topic. I've read that the suppliers for places like Lowe's and Home Depot put long-acting (meaning one year) systemic pesticides in their plant soil. Systemic means the pesticide is the type taken up by the roots into the plant itself- it can't be "washed off" since it's inside the plant. Very easy, effective bug deterrent but bad news for torts.

I currently have several plants that I purchased from one of those stores, and completely changed the soil (even rinsed the roots bare) to organic potting soil. My tort won't get anything off of these plants THIS year, but next year she'll get get it.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks Moozilan (sorry if spelled incorrectly),
That's good info since no associate at any of the big chains could tell me squat and just stared at me with a blank look or a full out why are you bothering me about this over a tortoise -grrrrr!
Guess Benny is sticking to what we have managed to grow, store bought mix and mazuri. Poor guy, seems a shame. Wish everyone didn't insist on adding poison to everything.
Don't even get me started on acceptable human consumption poisons!

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Status
Not open for further replies.