Green stalks for food

Triplejester

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Is it ok for my Russian tortoise to est the stalks that comes with the greens. They hold alot of water and would like to keep them with the leaves if possible.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it ok for my Russian tortoise to est the stalks that comes with the greens. They hold alot of water and would like to keep them with the leaves if possible.
Yes. The tortoise should be eating the whole plant. Lots of beneficial long fibers in the stalks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, I guess their beaks are stronger than I thought.
I suppose, upon further thought, the answer to your question does depend what type of tortoise, what size, and what type of stalk we are talking about.

Triplejester

Louisiana
I suppose, upon further thought, the answer to your question does depend what type of tortoise, what size, and what type of stalk we are talking about.
Russian about 5 yrs old. Shell is about 5 inches. Turnip green, mustard green, romain. Nothing real hard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian about 5 yrs old. Shell is about 5 inches. Turnip green, mustard green, romain. Nothing real hard.
I let mine have that stuff. When they are small they try to nibble at it and its great exercise for their necks and jaws. It also help keeps their beaks in good shape. As they gain size and strength, they are able to bite trough the stalks and eat them.