Greek Tortoise Scutes Peeling?

Jimmy Guan

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
Hello!
I recently bought a baby Greek Tortoise from Tortoise Supply. He seems to have some of his shell peeling or something like that? I've attached pictures. He eats dandelion, squash leaves, mallow and chicory like a normal baby tortoise should. I sprinkle a little Reptical on his food twice a week. He gets warm water soaks every morning for about 20 minutes. I have a 160W MVB over his enclosure and it gets to about 100 degrees right in the center and gets to around 85 ambient during the day. He also has that log which sits around 75 if he needs it but he rarely goes there. The clay pot has sphagnum moss and i spray it down with water every couple of days. I dont have a CHE for overnight but i heard that they do fine if the temperatures don't drop below 70 and the ambient temperature in my room is around 70-75. The substrate hes on is coco coir that i bought from Home Depot. Please help! I dont know whats wrong!
IMG_1523.JPGIMG_1524.JPGIMG_1525.JPGIMG_1526.JPGIMG_1527.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Other than that spot, he looks great. No tellin' what it is. I'd just keep a close watch on it and if it starts to get bigger or smelly, a vet visit would be in order. Keep the spot clean, and maybe dab on a bit of coconut oil, just on that spot. Coconut oil has healing qualities. I use it on my own minor skin problems.

Jimmy Guan

Chicago IL
Other than that spot, he looks great. No tellin' what it is. I'd just keep a close watch on it and if it starts to get bigger or smelly, a vet visit would be in order. Keep the spot clean, and maybe dab on a bit of coconut oil, just on that spot. Coconut oil has healing qualities. I use it on my own minor skin problems.

I dont know if its clear enough but on the second picture you can see one of the top scutes also peeling and one of the scutes on the side peeling as well. If it was just that little ding i wouldnt have worried, but im noticing more "peeling"? Other than this he eats like normal and poop and pees like normal. Every night he digs into the humid pot for the night.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
There are a few spots of mild abrasive or impact-related damage. Do not let my use of the word "impact" scare you. They are for the most part superficial and will sort of disappear (more like fade) by virtue of wear as the animal grows much larger. Think of them as scratches or scuffs. Keep the areas clean, but avoid scrubbing them with excessive vigor or anything like that (and no picking). They are so small that most people would overlook them by either missing them entirely or assuming they were flecks of substrate or waste, so they are easy to miss. I was concerned I was going to come across delamination when I saw the thread title, but this is thankfully nothing of that level. Enjoy the tortoise.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm really impressed with how well you've got your little guy set up! You obviously did a LOT of research! GOOD JOB!
I got my Hermann's tortoise from Tortoise Supply almost exactly 5 years ago, and she's doing great. They are very reputable and very helpful too. I agree with Baoh's observations.

One thought about the little enclosure: your tort would probably appreciate more things to hide behind and under.
But you've got a much better set up than most newbies I see on here!!!! :)

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Your tort looks like my Greek, Spike. Possibly from the same clutch from Tortoise Supply.

The marks seem superficial. As long as your tort is behaving normally (eating, drinking, sleeping, roaming, etc.), I wouldn't worry too much about it.