Greek tort raw tail! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

afeemster

5 Year Member
My Greek Tortoise, Bubba, was VERY constipated and had gone off food for about 4 days. When he started eating again, he must have pooped in his pen and I didn't see. Never-the-less, he strained so hard his skin around his tail cracked. He now appears to have a "hole" into the tube where the fluids leave his body and he is accumulating some nasty white creamy sludge. I am soaking him 2x a day and the skin appears to be drying up and forming a "scab" for lack of a better word. Will this "hole" close? He is eating a little...tomatoes and grass and spring mix...but no more poo...can't get to herp vet till sat...:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, afeemster!!

I doubt you have anything to worry about concerning the "white stuff." That is probably urates, a normal part of a tortoise's urinary tract secretions. If the cloaca looks raw to you after you clean it off really well, you can always dab on some NeoSporin.

afeemster

5 Year Member
Thank you! I hope this clears up quickly. I am concerned about the "hole" in his tail. Glad the white stuff is urates. I was wondering...I am just happy these days when he eats something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The hole in the tail is called the cloaca.

Status
Not open for further replies.