Greek staying hidden

Status
Not open for further replies.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hey guys. I brought my Greek inside for the winter and since, always stays burrowed until I bring out to soak. I give a warm soak every morning and then feed her. She eats all of her food and then promptly goes back in her hide where she stays.

Sonja215

5 Year Member
Portsmouth, VA
Mine does the same, she's gotta be a yearling by now. Sorry, can't assist, I just assume since she should be brumating that's what she's trying to do. My first year with her so she's not doing the natural thing.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Many young tortoises hide alot. it's instinctual. In the wild it is what keeps them from being eaten. Indoors in captivity there may be other reasons such as not enough light (duration and intensity), too much light, temperatures too hot overall or a lot activity around their enclosure.
If kept at normal activity level temperatures and light they will not begin brumation indoors. This only occurs when temperatures, light duration and light intensity are greatly reduced below normal activity levels. It doesn't just happen automatically in captivity because a tortoise would do so in the wild. Their activity levels (and lack of) including brumation, is regulated solely by their surrounding environment.
What are the day, night and basking temperatures in your tortoises enclosure? What type of lighting is it exposed to and for how long during the day?

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
Day temps are 95 under basking light and 80 in cool side. Night temps drop to 72. I soak for 30 minutes every day and she eats all her food before going back to her hide. I'm sure I'm just worrying too much and her enclosure is too small, but I just can't stand to leave her outside in the cold . When I pick her up before soaks she is totally not afraid of me at all. I know she's fine I just wish I had more space for her to roam about in the cold months.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Seems to be going around my greek also soaks eats and then goes back to bed
I think its the time of year

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
colatoise said:
Day temps are 95 under basking light and 80 in cool side. Night temps drop to 72. I soak for 30 minutes every day and she eats all her food before going back to her hide. I'm sure I'm just worrying too much and her enclosure is too small, but I just can't stand to leave her outside in the cold . When I pick her up before soaks she is totally not afraid of me at all. I know she's fine I just wish I had more space for her to roam about in the cold months.
The basking temperature isn't bad, around 95-110 is good for medium sized to adult Greeks. The "cool" end of the enclosure is pretty warm if that it what the tortoise is exposed to each day. around 75 would be better and rely on the heat from the basking light to produce a temperature gradient within the enclosure. The night time temperature is definitely high. Low 70's occassionally at night is fine but ideally the temperatures should be in the 58-65 degree range.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
GBtortoises said:
The basking temperature isn't bad, around 95-110 is good for medium sized to adult Greeks. The "cool" end of the enclosure is pretty warm if that it what the tortoise is exposed to each day. around 75 would be better and rely on the heat from the basking light to produce a temperature gradient within the enclosure. The night time temperature is definitely high. Low 70's occassionally at night is fine but ideally the temperatures should be in the 58-65 degree range.

Thanks GB

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
GBtortoises said:

Are these temps the same for golden Greek adults also?

Status
Not open for further replies.