Greek or Russian? 🐢

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I am getting a tortoise soon and I don't know which one to choose (this will be my 1st)... I did my research on both and am still on the fence. Can somebody help me? I do have experience with other reptiles, but not torts... 🐢

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Which climate is most similar to your area? Russians handle cold better.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Chinque said:
I am getting a tortoise soon and I don't know which one to choose (this will be my 1st)... I did my research on both and am still on the fence. Can somebody help me? I do have experience with other reptiles, but not torts... ?dc22

Either one makes great pets i like the Greeks though..I do recommend C.B. Animals over wild caught,C.B. Animals have less problems if any at all if cared for property and adapted lots better then wild caught ones.I have had both and the wild caught ones had lots of vet bills...Tortoisesupply.com has many to chose from thats where i got mine but there are many breeders out there and C.B. Will cost more money but well worth it in the long run...

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Russian or Greek? 🐢

Hi! I'm getting a hatchling soon and it'll be my 1st tort, but, I'm not sure which one to get. I've heard different information about each, but it "clashes" with other information I've heard... Can someone please help me?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Russians are good tortoises to start with. They are pretty hardy and can stand cooler temps.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks for all of your help, everybody! I have decided to get a Russian, because oft he information you guys sent me and because of the climate where I live. Thank you all! 😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I'm late to this party, but here's my two cents: GENERALLY speaking, Greeks are prettier, but Russians have a better personality.

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
We just got our first torti almost 2 weeks ago. It's a GREEK torti and he's amazing. Especially since we got him at Petsmart. He has a personality and is very entertaining and likes his head scratched. lol

Good luck and this group will help w/ ANYTHING you need.........

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks, everybody! And, Tom, it's ok to be a little late to the party, and besides, you and jmhoesch made me reconsider my choice... But, now I'm on the fence again...hmmm...😣

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
I think you'll be happy w/ either one. They are very similar. I think we got lucky w/ our little "petsmart" torti. He had JUST arrived and still in the packing box when I was there, I stuck my head in and saw the two they had and immediately said, I WANT THAT LITTLE ONE! lol They soaked him a good long while and by then, my hubby went back and picked him up. Some torti's are shy, I've heard and some have really big personalities. I talk to Mr. Pickles a lot and handle him and he sticks his head way out to look at me and I scratch his head. I don't know if that's normal or not but I think he knows our voices and knows when we have food for him.

Petco had Russians and Petsmart had Greeks. The Greeks were on sale and that's why I got the one I did. I'm glad tho. Just read, read, read everything you can and use this group for info. You'll have fun setting up his new home and making sure everything is right. (you'll also be paranoid) lol

Good luck and let us know which one you decided on and put pics up when you get him..........

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I had no clue that there were different species of Greek... But, I will put pictures up as soon as I get him or her!! I was thinking of naming it either Squirt, Pebbles, or Max, but, only Max if it's a boy!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Russian!!!!! I would choose a Russian any day because of their outgoing personalities.

And I completely disagree with Tom on this one - a healthy, well hydrated Russian tortoise is prettier than any Greek tort. :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I would base your decision on your climate. It is fine to keep them inside part of the year, but all tortoises thrive when they are outside in the right conditions.
Russians may be able to stay outside in your area longer, perhaps even year round with a dry shelter for a short hibernation or slow down (eventually, not the first year!). They are amazingly hardy and adaptable.

Look under eat species section at owners of Greeks and Russians. Then see if any are in your general area, and PM them about their experience and advice.

They are both wonderful tortoises, but keep the above in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.