Greek, Leopard, Marginated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've been doing a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that I'm either wanting to get either an Ibera Greek, Marginated, or Leopard Tortoise and I was hoping someone may be able to tell me their points of view on the three different animals. I have just finished constructing my turtle table, which is 24"x36" in length. And I was curious, for how long would I be able to sustain a leopard tortoise, if gotten from a hatchling, in an enclosure of that size. For the summer months, when the tortoise is larger, I have a nice fenced off site about 10' x 10' probably would make it smaller until the tortoise gets a little larger. Also, a lot of the information I've read on the Greeks and Marginateds make them sound very similar, except some stuff has said that I should feed some animal matter to the marginated, and then other stuff has said absolutely not to. So I'm a little confused with the contradicting information there.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Of the three, my only experience is with the Leopard tortoise. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but from my experience, leopard tortoises are shy and aloof. My leopards always stop what they're doing when they see me, and withdraw into their shell. They show no interest in interacting with me at all. They are not afraid of me, they just don't want to move when I'm looking at them. They are beautiful tortoises, but no fun.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
On the other hand :) my only experience has been with Leopard tortoises (okay, so it's only been close to 2 years now) but my 11+ yr old interacts with me a bit (comes toward me to let him out to graze, eats from my hand sometimes, steps up on the porch to look through the windowed door into the living room - but doesn't ram it to come in) My 4 year old Leopard likes to be "scratched" on the top of the head and hides in his shell at my first approach, but then comes out and stays out. I guess it depends on how much fun and interaction you want. I didn't know what to expect so any interaction is fun for me.

andrewbimmer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Interesting information about Leopard tortoise!
I'd love to have one.
Keep the information coming.
Any pictures?

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
Where do you located and how much room do you have for the indoor enclosure? If you live in, say Canada, then you have to have a larger indoor enclosure from Fall to Spring within the next few years. If you live, say in San Diego or Florida, there's a good chance that your leopard could live outside almost all year long, except maybe during those hurricane season in FL.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
andrewbimmer said:
Interesting information about Leopard tortoise!
I'd love to have one.
Keep the information coming.
Any pictures?

I don't want to steer this thread away from the original post, so if you go to africantortoise.com and click on photos you'll see Yvonne's and others' Leopards along with great info. There are photos of my Tank and Bump on this forum.

Teko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I live in Northern California, within 3.5 hours of San Francisco, temp during the summer is in the mid to high 90's on average, and gets around probably the 40's in the winter. So there'd definitely have to be some kind of an outdoor heated enclosure. After talking to a couple of different people, I think I've decided more towards the Marginated tortoise, perhaps later, after a little more experience, I'll go with a leopard. Thanks for everyone's replies! If anyone still has any information on all three species, I would love to hear it, you can never learn too much, in my opinion, especially when you're like me and just about to dive into the tortoise hobby. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.