Greek, herman, russian... ARE they all medi torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearlesshugo

5 Year Member
Just wondering if greek tortoises are hardy just like herman and russian, and have the same habbitat and humidity?
I been trying to get a herman tort in canada but seems pretty hard, no luck at all but i wouldn't mind getting a greek something that is hardy and humidity low.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The term "Greek" tortoises covers several subspecies from a very expansive and sometimes very different geographical range. I hate the fact that MiddleEastern and North African Gracea are commonly called "Greek" tortoises because it can be very misleading!

Many, if not most all of the "Greek" tortoises commonly available today are MiddleEastern Gracea, at least in the U.S. The tortoise originally referred to as the Greek tortoise is Testudo gracea ibera which is truly a Northern Mediterranean tortoise as are the Hermann's and Marginateds. Russians are not actually Mediterranean tortoises although they are grouped with them probably because of their many similar features, structure, habitat and care requirements. They are found farther east is some of the former Soviet provinces.

Of the Testudo family I have the least amount of experience with the MiddleEastern and North African Gracea but I have found that they are more active and seem to have a better appetite if kept a bit warmer than is typical of the Northern Mediterranean species. Especially warmer temperatures at night. I do keep all of my Northern Mediterranean species well hydrated and spray their substrates twice daily. My MiddleEastern Gracea are kept warmer and just a bit dryer by only being sprayed once daily.

All in all the MiddleEastern Gracea that I have or have had seem to be as hardy as any of my Northern Mediterranean species.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
GBtortoises said:
The term "Greek" tortoises covers several subspecies from a very expansive and sometimes very different geographical range. I hate the fact that MiddleEastern and North African Gracea are commonly called "Greek" tortoises because it can be very misleading!

Many, if not most all of the "Greek" tortoises commonly available today are MiddleEastern Gracea, at least in the U.S. The tortoise originally referred to as the Greek tortoise is Testudo gracea ibera which is truly a Northern Mediterranean tortoise as are the Hermann's and Marginateds. Russians are not actually Mediterranean tortoises although they are grouped with them probably because of their many similar features, structure, habitat and care requirements. They are found farther east is some of the former Soviet provinces.

Of the Testudo family I have the least amount of experience with the MiddleEastern and North African Gracea but I have found that they are more active and seem to have a better appetite if kept a bit warmer than is typical of the Northern Mediterranean species. Especially warmer temperatures at night. I do keep all of my Northern Mediterranean species well hydrated and spray their substrates twice daily. My MiddleEastern Gracea are kept warmer and just a bit dryer by only being sprayed once daily.

All in all the MiddleEastern Gracea that I have or have had seem to be as hardy as any of my Northern Mediterranean species.

They are really called Greek because they resemble Greek Mosaics.

And then everything comes from the Greek anyway. Just give me a word.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
That's true, their common name does supposedly come from their resemblence to Greek Mosaic but it is misleading because almost no one knows that and most people assume that they are so named because of their geographic location. At least Ibera are actually found in parts of Greece!

Same with North American Wood turtles. Many people think it that they are so named because they live in the woods. They don't live in the woods. Their name comes from their resemblence to carved wood.

How about this word: perdiddle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
webskipper said:
And then everything comes from the Greek anyway. Just give me a word.

LOL!! Pick a word...any word!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
A search for "Tortoises of Greece" in quotes leads you to a great article from Info Torga .com from Spain. Translate the page to read.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Cell Phone?

or
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Status
Not open for further replies.