gravid 3toed female wont lay

Status
Not open for further replies.

thea lester

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
I've had Sophia 24 years and she has laid a lot of eggs over the years. It's been a month or so that she's been nesting and I can still feel the egg. I've tried adding sand to the "nest's" she's been digging. I dunno. Help! Next step is vet/oxytosin shot

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I can't help , but ill try to bump u up so other people see this ! Good luck :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get a tub that she can't climb out of and position a light/heat over it. Add enough warm water to come up to the middle of her sides and put her in it. Make sure she can get out from under the hottest spot of the light, but leave her in there for at least a half hour. If she's egg bound, heat, warm water and exercise sometimes helps.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Thank you! How warm is warm? I'm thinkin like 110-120 max?, and I've just done that, however no heat lamp, and she's back nesting again in a NEW south-facing area I set up on a hunch. Poor ol Sophie. She's my sis. Had her since I was 7. I'm 34.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never actually measured the temp, just felt warm to the touch. You've had that turtle for a very long time. I hope it works out for you.

You might try sprinkling the habitat with water. Yesterday I set the sprinklers in my box turtle pens and later in the day I noticed nest digging activity in three different pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.