gowing bulb for uv

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
so I have this an indoor plant bulb for some bonsai. I started to wonder if this could be used as a uv bulb for my tort. I'm thinking about growing grass in his enclosure and a plant bulb would help the grass grow/stay alive.

EKLC

5 Year Member
That won't output enough UVB for a tortoise, but it's nice to provide extra lighting anyways. I have a grow light in my enclosure for that reason

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
As far as UVB bulbs, I just think you cant beat the Zoo Med Power Sun 100 or 160 watt bulbs if you can't get your tort outside to get any unfiltered sun. These are what I use for my sully and russian. They are expensive though, $60 here in Indiana. Good luck!

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
cemmons12 said:
As far as UVB bulbs, I just think you cant beat the Zoo Med Power Sun 100 or 160 watt bulbs if you can't get your tort outside to get any unfiltered sun. These are what I use for my sully and russian. They are expensive though, $60 here in Indiana. Good luck!

I also found this same bulb online, on amazon.com for under $30. So then I was also able to get the hood online for way cheaper. It got the whole set up for less than a bulb in the stores and everything was new

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Good Price!

I have a 10.0 UV florecent tube but it's about 14" above the substrate so is only good for the plants. Will be getting a MVB to replace my 50w basking bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In our area of the world you really don't "need" any artificial UV, as long as they are getting regular sunshine. Don't worry too much about a two or three week stretch of cold winter weather. If they are getting sunshine the rest of the time, it is not a big deal.

I think your bulb will be fine for plants and for lighting up your enclosure. Of course, I also think your sulcata will eat or trample any plants you put in an indoor enclosure, but try it out anyway. :)

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
thanks. I was wondering about the sun to winter weather ratio in southern cal. it's good to know its alright that he doesn't always get out during winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.