Gosh Darn! What is she?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
I have been so frustrated! I cannot figure out what species of tortoise this little girl is. I'm not sure on her age. She is missing the scute above her head and has a little fat, stumpy tail. She is oddly light in color!
photo6-1.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

Thanks!

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
FernandoM said:
TT ? :/

Where did you find her? How come I can't find tortoises!!!
That was my best guess too, considering it's size and lack of that scute, but its head is on the smaller size and her eyes are pretty big, plus it's tail is chubby, looks kinda like a greek tail(just for comparison sake), and its really light in color.

She isn't mine! A friend asked me to come over and take a look at their torts, they have a larger Desert tortoise and then this little one :/ I was stumped!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Looks like a dog chewed on her shell :( PS Sorry I don't know what type

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Is the lack of the nuchal scute the reason we don't think it's a desert tortoise? It looks like a desert tortoise to me. It doesn't look like anything I have, and I have just about everything besides desert tortoises.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Just because it has no nuchal does not mean it can't be a DT. I have a Home's Hingeback without a nuchal and it is still a Home's Hingeback, lol. Just wanted to remind everyone of that... ;)

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
But the scaling on the arms, head shape, eye size and coloring also make me think this isn't a DT. Doesn't look like any I've ever seen. And I've probably seen close to 40 different DT's in person, ranging in sizes.
Fernando- I think you might be onto something with your hybrid suggestion

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do a GOOGLE image search for chaco tortoise. I think that may be what it is. The spurs on the front legs are too big for either texas or desert.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The head on this tortoise looks a little thicker or bulkier then the Chaco tortoises I'm looking at.

except maybe for this one

geochelonechilensis.jpg

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
The possibility of it being a Chaco tortoise are so very slim that it makes it something I wouldn't even bother considering. Texas torts are well documented not to have the nuchal, and DT's (like was said) don't always have it. It doesn't look Testudo to me at all, and there's very few other things there's even a chance of it being. I still think it's DT, Gopher or Texas tort (all look very similar to that). Its head looks huge in the third photo, but doesn't in the other two.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't think it is a Desert Tortoise? I do know she has such a sad little look on her face:( Was she just found? Poor little thing being mistaken for a chew toy....

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Yvonne- When I first saw it I said the same thing!!! I'm like I may be crazy but it reminds me of a chaco tortoise! haha. Any other opinions on what she could be? Or what mix you think it may be of?

Just some background. This is a friend of mine's tortoise. It is very well cared for now, is all outdoor with lots of space to roam. The shell damage is from a long time ago when the girl escaped her yard and was picked up by a dog. The tortoise was given to my friend 2 or 3 years ago and has only grown slightly which makes me think it is an adult.

Thanks for all your input thus far everyone!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
If the person who listed it listed it as a chaco... it's a chaco. It does look like a chaco. Those chacos raised in the US or in captivity in general were notorious for pyramiding.

I'd say Chaco... can you say where you obtained the tortoise?

Skyler Nell said:
I have been so frustrated! I cannot figure out what species of tortoise this little girl is. I'm not sure on her age. She is missing the scute above her head and has a little fat, stumpy tail. She is oddly light in color!
Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a note of explanation to those newer members. -EJ hasn't been posting much lately, but he is an excellent resource here on the forum. If I'm not mistaken, he also has Chaco tortoises of his own. You can take it to the bank...what he said. Thank you, -EJ.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree with Ed :D it is a Chaco tortoise. Can we get a pictures of the plastron and tail as it looks like a male to me.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.