Gopherus berlandieri doesn't wake up

Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Hello everyone! I'm new in the forum. I have a gopherus berlandieri tortoise that is currently like sleeping. I have to feed him using a technique to open his mouth and introduce water with vitamins/calcium. He barely opens one eye. If I put him in the sunny backyard, walks to the shadow side. Sometimes I give him short showers with not cold/not hot water. At this point I don't know what to do. Vet told me to keep it hydrated by continue doing the thing I'm already doing. But tortoise still doesn't wake up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Soak him in warm water for about a half hour every day.

Please let us know how you are caring for the tortoise - what he lives in (indoors or outside), what food you offer, how warm is he (lights? heat?) and anything else you can think of to help us help you

Mexico
Thanks for replying. Regarding caring: he is outside, sunlight is something they have everyday. Food offered: prickly pear, clean water, lettuce + vitamins + calcium. Temperature is 70°F, and they have a place to hide of it's too hot. They mainly have grass and soil.
I'll try the warm water recommendation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
70°F really isn't all that warm to a cold blooded animal. Think about it: YOUR inner core temperature is 98.6°F, and at that temperature your body works. . . food gets digested etc. If your tortoise only has an ambient temperature of 70F degrees, he doesn't work. He needs to be able to sit in the sun and warm his inner core up to 80, 85 or more. There may be something else going on, but try warming his inner core and see if that helps. Move him into the sun. But don't forget about him. The sun could easily overheat him if he doesn't move away on his own.

Mexico
Yeah, that temperature I mentioned was measured today at 8AM approx. Right now it's 84°F. After the warm water recommendation it's moving a little bit more. I'll continue warming it.