Gophers?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
We had problems with pocket gophers and the problem mysteriously began decreasing. Then one day the mystery was solved. We now have a resident 5 ft bullsnake.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
They are getting worse! But, thank goodness my cat is back from his cattin' around. So hopefully he'll get to work!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Itort said:
We had problems with pocket gophers and the problem mysteriously began decreasing. Then one day the mystery was solved. We now have a resident 5 ft bullsnake.

I LOOOOOVE Pituophis sp. We have more than a few around my place. I invite new ones in all the time. Still, they can't keep up with all the mammalian pests.

pugsandkids said:
They are getting worse! But, thank goodness my cat is back from his cattin' around. So hopefully he'll get to work!

I'm telling you. "The Black Box". Made by Victor. Google it. You will solve your gopher problem within a few days... No poisons. Since its semi-buried, your other animals can't get to it. It really works... :)

And no I don't get a cut from the Victor company...

redbeef

5 Year Member
trapping is the best way to go. I don't use that blackbox thing, but instead get those spring loaded traps w/the nasty spiked pinchers and tie/wire two of them to a stake...probe around for a runway hole, dig it out enough to fit a trap facing each way down the tunnel and then cover it w/a board and a rock/brick and a little soil. Sometimes they can be a little trap shy, but I've had pretty good success w/it and I understand that once you catch one in a trap, it's easier to catch another as the scent of the gopher on the trap draws them into confrontation.

neighborhood cats and a gophersnake seem to be doing a pretty good job on them this summer, but I had to go on a trapping binge this spring after the little b*$#&^ds killed one of my baby arkansas black apple tree and began to ringbark the roots of my fuji apple :( they are soooooo annoying

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have found a couple mounds in my Aldabran pen. I've tried to flush them clear with the hose, but can't get the water to go down. I'll do some research on the black box, but if you have to put it in a clear tunnel, I'm out of luck.

Scoffy20

5 Year Member
New York, NY
I love all animals, and I am an avid hunter. From large game like bears, deers, and turkeys, to small game like rabbits, squirrels and even gophers. Your best solution would be to get a "have a heart" trap and relocate the little critters. if this doesn't work which i most likely wont tho. then grab a six pack and a lawn chair and borrow a neighbor's .22 Its cheap and you get some good practice shooting.

Best of Luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Scoffy20 said:
I love all animals, and I am an avid hunter. From large game like bears, deers, and turkeys, to small game like rabbits, squirrels and even gophers. Your best solution would be to get a "have a heart" trap and relocate the little critters. if this doesn't work which i most likely wont tho. then grab a six pack and a lawn chair and borrow a neighbor's .22 Its cheap and you get some good practice shooting.

Best of Luck

They never come above ground so a Hav-a-heart will not work. .22 is great but again they very rarely stick their heads up because THEY ARE BUSY DESTROYING THE ROOTS OF MY MULBERRY TREES AND CACTUS PLANTS!!!!!!!

Sorry. I get a little incensed when talking about these horrible little vermin.

Yvonne, just move the mounded dirt out of the way, until you find the soft spot. Then just dig it out a little with your hand and set the trap in place. Then backfill around the trap and only leave "the light at the end of the tunnel" exposed. Works like a charm.

Redbeef, I have used those traps with some success in the past, but I found a tripped trap with some gopher fur on the tines one time. It seems it was a youngin', and he was able to pull out of the trap. At least at my place the black box has been really effective.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Scoffy20 said:
I love all animals, then grab a six pack and a lawn chair and borrow a neighbor's .22 Its cheap and you get some good practice shooting.

This sounds like a party to me... Who cares if they don't come above ground random shots might just ease your stress..
Best of Luck

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
The boys took shovels to the mounds and couldn't find the holes...My only hope is the cat, I'm not quite ready for traps...A six pack though, I'm already in the back deck and on my second beer (all be it gluten free!)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The gophers here do venture above ground....they of course have their underground diners, but they apparently find some of the plants here ultra yummy that they will risk their lives to creep out and lay on the earth above the hole and will stretch way far to grab at the plant to get pieces off (but their little back foot always remains touching their hole) and swoosh right back into the hole...this is the moment that the tiger cat here gets em...she sits in wait, like a statue and the moment the gopher is full stretch bam...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I understand the hate for gophers. I am fighting the same battle. They are distroying my lawn and I have been stepping in sink holes they make in the back yard Grrrr.... My dogs used to keep the controlled in the back but my lad got to old, he is gone now and my Rat Terrier who lived to kill rodents seems to have retired. I have snakes in the yard but they don't seen to be able to keep up with the problem. I have flushed them out with a hose and beat them with a shovel but the hole seem to have gotten too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.