Going to Adopt these 2 torts but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
they are rather poorly kept by the current owner. He wants to give them up and I figured the best I can do is give them a good home (I already hv 3 at home).

I have only seen the pics of the torts and not seen the actual torts yet. According to the current owner, both torts are healthy and eating well and are full grown.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me what's wrong with them and if what I think is correct.

Tort #1
S1.jpg

Closed eyes: I sure hope it's healthy and ok and that the shot happened to get the tort with the eyes closed

Shell: Ok the shell got me stumped. It looks like the shell is actually pitted/cracked??? And the shape looks weird too. Anyone know what's wrong with it?? Shell Rot??

Tort#2
S2.jpg

Shell: Ok it pyramid shell so I guess lack of calcium and high protein diet

Hind Legs: Does it look smaller to anyone? I suspect it might be suffering from MBD

Anyway I intend to take them to the vet once I collect them. Appreciate what you guys think.

PS. I'm not sure about the diet. The owner just said vegetables you get from the market -_-"
Also, these pics were sent to me by the owner. I hv not seen the actual torts yet

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the first one looks like it was chewed on by a dog.. and i think you are right with the 2nd one. Possible MBD..

Do you Know this person ? are you paying them for these animals? shipping? if so.. Id be Very careful!! could be a scam.
Only deal locally.. dont exchange any money without seeing the animals first hand.. and I would be hesitant if they are selling..
offer to give them a good home avet care.. since they have not...
good luck!

oh. and if you do get them.. DO NOT put them in with your current animals.. keep them seperate!!

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Laura said:
the first one looks like it was chewed on by a dog.. and i think you are right with the 2nd one. Possible MBD..

Do you Know this person ? are you paying them for these animals? shipping? if so.. Id be Very careful!! could be a scam.
Only deal locally.. dont exchange any money without seeing the animals first hand.. and I would be hesitant if they are selling..
offer to give them a good home avet care.. since they have not...
good luck!

oh. and if you do get them.. DO NOT put them in with your current animals.. keep them seperate!!

It's a friend of a friend and it's going to be free. Just about an hour's drive away from where I am.

I hv no intentions of keeping with my current animals till the vet gives them a clean bill of health

Thx for the adv though

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Good for you for taking the time and trouble. I did the exact same thing a few months back and now their lives are so much better for it.(It was a pair of Russians)
Yes that first tort looks a bit rough, but hopefully those are older injuries and it's just the picture. Good luck and please keep us posted!! That's what it's all about for these poor torts that end up in the corner!!

Also I just noticed your signature when I posted this, can we get a picture of those stingrays? Or are they here somewhere?
Thanks
Nay

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I want to see pix of all your critters:) Good for you for taking in these guys and giving them a better home.

I want to see pix of all your critters:) Good for you for taking in these guys and giving them a better home.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Wow they hardly even look like stars, especially the first one. I hope you can help them, and if you can't keep them i'm sure you can find someone on here to provide them a great home.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
The second one has bad pyramiding!
Might have mbd

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Nay said:
Good for you for taking the time and trouble. I did the exact same thing a few months back and now their lives are so much better for it.(It was a pair of Russians)
Yes that first tort looks a bit rough, but hopefully those are older injuries and it's just the picture. Good luck and please keep us posted!! That's what it's all about for these poor torts that end up in the corner!!

Also I just noticed your signature when I posted this, can we get a picture of those stingrays? Or are they here somewhere?
Thanks
Nay

Ok It's a bit OOT and the pictures are bad but here are the rays below. My siggy calls for an update though coz I no longer keep them as they got too big for my tank. Just sold off my Gulper Cats yesterday too. I do have other exotics though.

Angi said:
Mata Mata Turtle
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Matamata-Turtle#axzz1KIuOnGk4
Scroll down. The pics are there

Fly River Turtles
Piggy
piggy1.jpg

Shelly
IMG_1054.jpg

These pics are quite old. I hv not been taking new pics of them

Hedgehogs
I hv 8 of them -_-" The pics below are of the babies which resulted from a mis-sexing of the female as a male and an accident happened.
IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

Rays which I sold off
Motoro
IMG_5001.jpg

Marbled Motoro
IMG_1401.jpg

Pearl x PDR x Marbled Motoro
IMG_2335.jpg

Stars
Sheldon
Pic of Sheldon with his ball. He was adopted as well. His right hind leg is much smaller than the rest and he can't walk properly but it's a lot stronger now and he can walk without dragging his shell on the ground. He's also very fast for a tortoise with a limp!
Sheldonball2.jpg

Amber & Jasper
Will upload pics later. Photoshop being -_-"

jeffbens0n said:
Wow they hardly even look like stars, especially the first one. I hope you can help them, and if you can't keep them i'm sure you can find someone on here to provide them a great home.

Laura said:
Definately get them.. save them.

RianSeeking said:
Poor babies. They need a rescue.

Well I will definitely adopt them and bring them to the vet and do what I can before I rehome them if necessary. This won't be my first adoption. My earlier adopted Star Sheldon is doing well but I seriously doubt his hind legs will ever recover. The good thing is he doesn't drag his shell on the floor anymore and he actually likes to run when he's excited.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
If you have trouble finding a home for them i would be more than happy,i live in california and have one star and plan on owning more,THEY DESERVE GOOD CARE FOR REST OF THEIR DAYS,id take care of shipping charges.....

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Nice FRT (Are you a fan of the MFK forum?) and it's a great thing you are doing.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I love the hedge hog. It is SOOOOO cute! All your critters are pretty cool:)

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I love the hedge hog. It is SOOOOO cute! All your critters are pretty cool:)

1996Rishabh

5 Year Member
The Two Torts Looks In Really Bad Shape... The First One Really Surprised Me... Stars Are Supposed To Be Beautiful... And Yes The Cracked Shell Does Look like A Dog Bite... Both Have Suffered From Bad Husbandry And Need Good Care... Its A Good Thing You're Taking Them.... :) And Your Fly RIver Turtle Is Really Very Cute... And The Hedgehogs Too.... Sheldon Looks Very Bright And Playful :D

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am so happy you are saving those torts. I did the same with Lana, my big Sulcata. Her shell looks bad but she is now healthy. When I first got her she could not even walk she was so weak. I love your pics. One of the 4 kids that I am getting custody of said he wants a hedgehog. Do you sell babies or can you suggest a breeder to me?

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your kind words. However, I'm not in USA so I can't rehome them to one of you guys nor can I suggest a hedgehog breeder.

HarleyK> Yes I'm a member of MFK. In fact if you're into bichirs, I just got myself a Kamihata bred Polypterus bichir bichir :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good luck with them, sounds like they will be better off...can't believe they made it to that size in such obviously poor conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.