Going on holiday

Ninpoop

Location (City and/or State)
Dorset
My tortoise will be a year old when I have plans to be away from home for a two nights.
I’m so scared I’ve had this planned before I got him and leaving him with someone who’s not had a tortoise before is daunting.
They will be in charge of looking after him for two days.
Normally I bath my tortoise every evening for between 10-30 minutes depending on how much he’s enjoying it. Is this something he will be ok without for two days? He has water in his enclosure that he can dip in and out of if he wants but I don’t ever catch him in there and think this might be because I bath him everyday?
I am also going to make up a tub of food that they can use to feed him so I know what’s been made up for him each day.
Is there any other tips you guys have when leaving your tortoise for a few days? Wish I could bring him with us!
Here’s a picture of him too!IMG_2918.jpg
Thanks in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's always stressful leaving your baby for a day or two. He should be fine.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have no problem leaving a tortoise for up to 3 days. If longer than that, I then need to find someone who can come in at least every other day to change water and food.

If you have a good enclosure that is properly set up with thermostats and timers, and the enclosure has been running with no issues (overheating for example) for at least several weeks, then it will be fine by itself.

I leave a large pile of food including a cactus pad and some leaves and grasses that will not go bad as quickly. A decent size water dish will be fine for a few days with a single tortoise. GIve it a long bath just before (as practical) your leave.

Ninpoop

Dorset
I have no problem leaving a tortoise for up to 3 days. If longer than that, I then need to find someone who can come in at least every other day to change water and food.

If you have a good enclosure that is properly set up with thermostats and timers, and the enclosure has been running with no issues (overheating for example) for at least several weeks, then it will be fine by itself.

I leave a large pile of food including a cactus pad and some leaves and grasses that will not go bad as quickly. A decent size water dish will be fine for a few days with a single tortoise. GIve it a long bath just before (as practical) your leave.

Thank you so much this is really reassuring! I’m away for two nights but 3 whole days. Would you put all the food down before leaving?
Will it be good enough, my tortoise doesn’t really like his pellets so only eats greens.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thank you so much this is really reassuring! I’m away for two nights but 3 whole days. Would you put all the food down before leaving?
Will it be good enough, my tortoise doesn’t really like his pellets so only eats greens.
I don't leave pellets for a really young tortoise as I soften them with water and the wet pellets will mold. Weeds and leaves will wilt but tortoises readily eat greens that even seem to be "going bad". I feed about 1 1/2 times the normal amount when I leave. That gives food for the first day and second. They are fine an additional few days with no food at all.

As an additional note - I do now also keep live plants in my enclosures. Pothos Ivy the principle one. If food is all gone and they are hungry, they will start to nibble on that as well. But, unless you have a pothos that you've had quite a while already, you don't want one fresh from a nursery/store that may have been sprayed with a pesticide. Houseplants are normally not sprayed or treated at most places but I like to be safe.