GOD D@#Ø%!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stockholm Sweden
When messing around with Peters enclosure I accidently knocked over a flourescent lamp holder and broke one of his UV-B flourescent lamps.

The flourescent fixtures I have is an industrial one that doesn't have any means of attaching them to the enclosure.

m94k8j.jpg

So now the last remaining lamp is hanging on teh edges of the enclosure diagonally like this for now

t7il41.jpg

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I certainly DO feel your frustration! Thanks for cleaning up your cuss words!!!

How about screwing in a couple plant hooks in the ceiling and hanging the fixture from small chains from the hooks.

Yvonne

Akuma

5 Year Member
Stockholm Sweden
I live in a student apartement and I am not allowed to screw holes anywhere. Not in walls nor ceilings and even if I did there's no way I could do it. It's solid concrete.

Any other ideas how to attach the fixtures to the enclosure would be highly appreciated.

Also, for how long can he survive on one UV-B flourescent lamp?
I do have other lamps in the box as well, 2 Heat lamps. Should I get another UV-B flourescent lamp A.S.A.P or can that wait until I find a feasable solution for the fixtures?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
If you disassemble the lamp base, with power off, there should be holes to screw it in with. If you perfer to leave it at an angle accross the enclosure like your picture shows, get some GE silicone from Home Depot or lowes. Don't waste your money with the cheep silicone, buy the best and thats GE! Silicone make an excellent adhesive, holds lots of weight, cures fast, etc.
You may want to have the tort out of the room for a while as the silicone cures, smells a bit!

andred82vert

5 Year Member
attach it with double-sided sticky tape so you dont need to drill any holes

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
On my tortoise tables I have 2 - 1" x 1" pieces of wood travelling parallel the distance of the width of the enclosure. They are screwed in place to the top of the sides. The lighting fixture is then set in place on the two pieces of wood. The gap between the two pieces of wood is only slightly wide enough for the bulb(s) to show. I'll then set screws in about halfway on the pieces of wood to serve as anchors for the fixure itself.

M

Maggie Cummings

The big box stores have hooks that use sticky to attach to the wall or ceiling. So you just stick the hooks where you need them then attach the chains to hang the lights and there you are! Then when you move you just pull off the hooks. I use them and they work really well.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...You can do fine with only one UVB light.

I would get a piece of 1" x 4" lumber that is a bit longer than the length of your enclosure. Install the fixture on the board & set it across the top. Would this work?

Even better would be to make a 3-sided box with 1" x 4" s for it and line it with aluminum foil to reflect the light back down into the enclosure.

Good luck
Patsy

Akuma

5 Year Member
Stockholm Sweden
I'll get a couple of fat screws and see what I can do.
Getting a stand or hanging it by wall or celing is like I said - out of the question concidering I can't drill in any way in the walls here.

It has a couple of holes place for screws on the back. As far as reflectors go, I have yet to find one that they make for 24-inch lamps.. I made a flourescent lamp reflector myself out of a cardboard box, tin foil and some duct tape.
Thank God for duct tape.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just curious but aren't those lights considered hazardous when broken?

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
terryo said:
Long shot...but...what about 2 of these and some way to attach it on the hooks???
http://www.petco.com/product/5011/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Lamp-Stand.aspx#

I use these stand to hold my clamp lamp and fluorescent tube. I brought a rod from B&Q measured the required length to hold the tube, ensuring there was ample to fix securely into the base of the stand and bent it into a right angle (I noticed the base of your tortoise's home is quite deep so you need to measure this to ensure the correct sized rod is purchased) you can then secure the base of the stand under the base of their home. My tube is clamped to a reflector canopy thing, so i made four hole in it using just the blade of a pair of scissors and fitted these U shaped nut and bolts and attached it to the rod. So now their light is suspended over their home.

I have left my camera at work, going there today, so can post picture's later, if you're interested?

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I went to the hardware store, bought a piece of sheet metal, bent it by hand and mounted my light to it. total cost about $3.00

Status
Not open for further replies.