Gnats

shiannem1

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I have a ton of nats in my torts enclosure now. What do you suggest I do to get rid of them?

I do not leave food in the enclosure for more then a few hours and I clean up after my little one at least every other day.

I mist twice a day and stir up the dirt to make sure it’s not compacted to prevent molding.

They don’t seem to be hurting anything but I don’t want them to stay. I attached a pic of my little one just to have a picture :)
Thanks in advance.
IMG_1528745395.286994.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are several species of substrate flies, gnats, that move into the hospitable environment that we create in our enclosure for them. They are harmless detrivores and I just ignore them.

To get rid of them, you'll need to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate about every two weeks. More will always keep coming.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I have a ton of nats in my torts enclosure now. What do you suggest I do to get rid of them?

I do not leave food in the enclosure for more then a few hours and I clean up after my little one at least every other day.

I mist twice a day and stir up the dirt to make sure it’s not compacted to prevent molding.

They don’t seem to be hurting anything but I don’t want them to stay. I attached a pic of my little one just to have a picture :)
Thanks in advance.
View attachment 241592

I put a gnat/fly sticky trap way at top... keeps them under control, controlled myself too when I was changing water and it got stuck on my arm[emoji849]

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
What a cute baby [emoji847].. my sulcata, Daisy was just over 100 grams a week ago, she feels a lot heavier now, need to weigh her when we get back home Wednesday from vacation, my daughter is tortoise sitting and can’t believe how much she eats and poos lol

shiannem1

Tennessee
There are several species of substrate flies, gnats, that move into the hospitable environment that we create in our enclosure for them. They are harmless detrivores and I just ignore them.

To get rid of them, you'll need to boil, bake, freeze or replace your substrate about every two weeks. More will always keep coming.

So do they ever irritate the torts?

shiannem1

Tennessee
What a cute baby [emoji847].. my sulcata, Daisy was just over 100 grams a week ago, she feels a lot heavier now, need to weigh her when we get back home Wednesday from vacation, my daughter is tortoise sitting and can’t believe how much she eats and poos lol

No joke they are eating pooping machines [emoji23]