Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Weather patterns change all the time. Since as far back as we can trace. Ice-ages (no man involved there) that have come and gone... No, there is no man-caused global warming. It is a global scam and that's about it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/21/AR2009112102186.html?nav=hcmodule

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/hadley_hacked#63657

The 1079 emails and 72 documents seem indeed evidence of a scandal involving most of the most prominent scientists pushing the man-made warming theory - a scandal that is one of the greatest in modern science. I’ve been adding some of the most astonishing in updates below - emails suggesting conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organized resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more. If it is as it now seems, never again will “peer review” be used to shout down skeptics.

This is clearly not the work of some hacker, but of an insider who’s now blown the whistle.

Ed Morrisey, at Hot Air, and others have done significant digging into the emails and documents. The highlights are:

1.Prominent environmental scientists organize a boycott of scientific journals if those journals publish scholarly material from global warming dissidents.
2.The scientists then orchestrate attacks on the dissidents because of their lack of scholarly material published in scientific journals.
3.The scientists block from the UN’s report on global warming evidence that is harmful to the anthropogenic global warming consensus.
4.The scientists, when faced with a freedom of information act request for their correspondence and data, delete the correspondence and data lest it be used against them.
5.The scientists fabricate data when their data fails to prove the earth is warming. In fact, in more than one case, scientists engaged in lengthy emails on how to insert additional made up data that would in turn cause their claims to stand out as legitimate.
Andrew Bolt of the Australian Herald Sun has sifted through the emails and finds some surprises that, at first, he was not sure were authentic, but have now been confirmed to be authentic. One, from Kevin Trenbeth in Bolder, CO, to a group of fellow global warming scientists, admits “that [they] can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that [they] can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong.”

Another, from Professor Phil Jones at the Climate Research Unit, admits he “completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline [in global temperatures].”

Other reading on this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704007804574574101605007432.html

Global Warming With the Lid Off
The emails that reveal an effort to hide the truth about climate science.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704888404574547730924988354.html

The Economics of Climate Change
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703499404574559491076961008.html

Climate Change's Latest Storm
Good news for the Earth, bad news for the IPCC.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703808904575024642474659802.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Chad: I moved your comment out of Terry's picture thread because I knew it was going to draw a lot of comments and didn't want to take anything away from Terry's Ice thread.

I heard this a.m. that even Osama bin Ladin has been duped into believing the global warming scam. He's been vocal lately about that terrible western world and what we're causing.

I know that Rush Limbaugh isn't very well liked, but he really does (besides entertain) educate us on what Government is doing. He was one of the first ones to say there was no global warming, and now, lo and behold! a scam!!

Thanks for posting those links. I don't get the paper and only hear the news occasionally (I live in a cave), so I depend upon word-of-mouth!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Chad...I'm so excited! You and I finally agree on something! LOL Now, finally..... evidence. Do you think it's true?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Sorry, I side with the overwhelming abundance of scientific agreement.

The over-hyped email "scam" involved disregarding tree ring evidence, which was one of many factors present that all contributed to the conclusion of Climate Change. Subtracting the "contradictory" evidence of the tree rings did not change the science.

Whether you believe it is manmade or not, think about what it will cost us to shore up cities like New York, Los Angeles and Seattle when melting Arctic/Greenland ice raise sea levels. Those changes ARE happening, are measurable and are definitely going to cause global changes.

Even if it's not true, is it not a good idea to reduce our oil dependence? We spend billions of dollars every year bankrolling countries like Saudi Arabia, where 15 of the 19 September 11th hijackers hailed from. Do we want to be in hock to middle eastern potentates?

Energy independence is a GOOD idea, and I support all alternative fuels as well as more oil drilling, including off-shore and in ANWAR. My dad's a former oil-company exploration geologist, and he always reminded us that oil is a finite resource--it takes millions of years to form and we are sucking it out of the earth at exponentially-increasing rates.

Which entity has more to gain from convincing people their side of the climate change argument is true: Oil companies or university scientists?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been saying its B.S. for years. BTW global temps have been DROPPING for the last 8 years. While this "global warming" thing is an obvious scam, we do need to start taking better care of MOM or something IS going to happen that is not a lefty-scam.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I haven't really read much past the initial claims or replies...

Let me see if I understand what is being claimed here.. man has had nothing to do with any of the changes in our atmosphere.. ever??? And man can continue to do what he has been doing and it won't have any negative effect on anything that would influence our health and how we live?

Just checking...

Terry K

BTW.. thank you Yvonne for moving that reply..

Anybody?: Why can't anyone post something without someone always taking issue and making something contraversial(sp?) about it???

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
So here's what I've heard...[I think it was from 20/20 or the Discovery channel, something like that..]

Yes there ARE icebergs melting and such..if you take the data that represents climate changes for the past decade, it proves global warming. BUT, if you take the temps for the past 7-8 decades, it doesn't show proof of global warming, it shows a kind of pattern that is not out of the ordinary...it all depends on how, and what you look at. But again, this is just what I've heard.

I do agree though that everyone needs to start being more "green" or obviously, something WILL happen eventually.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to say but al " I lie" gore has the most to gain from a GW scam, I never believed it becuase at the time the earth was warming the other planets were rising about the same degree. SInce no one could explain why mars temps was rising with no humans around to raise the Co2 levels I doubted it from the beginning, I do not believe that we should all pollute as much as we want but neither do I want the tax and trade to pass, nor have our govrement sign up with some global tax to shake more money from us. The main problem I had with the people weho believed on in was they would not debate it at all, once again following their leader al "I Lie'" gore, he and his followers would proclaim the debate is over and their is nothing more to talk about, now ask yourself if they scientists had nothing to hide then why did they destroy all of their early data? any scientific study based on false or deleted data has to be suspect at the very l;eastm and fraudulent at the very worst.

the last ten years or so the temps have been falling almost in direct correlation with the sunspot cycles.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I could use some of that global warming right now. It's -12 @ 8:00 a.m. here in the Catskills!

I consider myself an environmentalist, please don't mistake that for a tree hugger, we're two different beings!
Based on what I've been reading, watching and listening to about the subject the past few years I also agree that it's a scam.

If they're intent is to put a fear in us that we are all going die a slow overheated death, it isn't working because the general populus thinks it's BS too.

The earth is an ever-evolving, ever-changing planet. It always has been, it always will be. Our little speck of time on it amounts to a grain of sand in a silo.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Creationists and Evolutionists "still at it" I see!

And the "Me-publicans" don't get along with themselves let alone with the Democrats! ( as well )

And see what the ( I hope? ) innocent statement made by Yvonne has started?

And I [ we? ] have been stupid enough to even participate in this meaningless "discussion"??? GBtortoises?

Terry K

I still love the "Don't argue with a fool.. they will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experiences"

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Redfoot NERD said:

And the "Me-publicans" don't get along with themselves let alone with the Democrats! ( as well )

And I [ we? ] have been stupid enough to even participate in this meaningless "discussion"??? GBtortoises?

Terry K

I still love the "Don't argue with a fool.. they will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experiences"

Come on Terry...just because you don't agree, doesn't mean you can't be civil....meaning....respect other's opinions. We are all entitled ya know.

I think we are all making valid points here.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
It makes me think of the "hoax" perpetuated by Galileo that the Catholic church had no trouble "debunking", because most people were not scientists and did not understand how science operates. After all, one could clearly see that the sun rose every day, travelled across the sky, and then set at night. If the earth were turning, why couldn't we feel it? Why didn't we fall off? Everyone "knew" that Ptolemy and Aristotle, great scholars of ancient Greece, were correct in their geocentric view of the universe, and the Church confirmed it. Period.

In 1992, the Church officially apologized to Galileo, who not just agreed with the Copernican model of a helio-centric universe, but had the audacity to write down and teach his findings. He was held under house arrest till his death in 1642, and the Church succeeded in slowing down the scientific truth for nearly 100 years. Some say Galileo even recanted on his death bed. But he was right.

My daughter Emily is studying aerospace engineering and elecrical engineering at the University of Colorado at Boulder. She wants to be a NASA astronaut someday. She is currently studying both physics and thermodynamics. She shows me the problems she works, which are all symbols and gibberish to me, but that does not mean that what she studies is a hoax. It's science. Emily is in charge of the RocketSat 6 project, in which her team of student scientists will launch a payload on a rocket this summer. Their payload is a device that will measure particles in the atmosphere (btw, Mars and the other planets have no atmosphere so comparing their planetary temperatures to earth is an "apples to oranges" model), to compare how prevalent those particles are at various distances from the earth. Their data will be compared to millions of other data to ascertain the degree of global climate change and the pace at which it is taking place. Emily is neither an ideologue nor a dupe, and she is convinced the science of climate change is sound.

My nephew graduated from the Air Force Academy in 2007, then was selected to complete his Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering at MIT. (He also hopes to be an astronaut someday). His mother, my sister, is very conservative politically and also believes climate change is a hoax. My nephew has confided in me how embarassing it is for him to bring fellow pilots home from training and have to listen to his mother rant on about science she doesn't understand, and therefore must be false. She quotes the same talk show entertainers and fringe members of the scientific community, many of whom are probably bankrolled by major oil companies. Again, there are hundreds of billions of dollars in profits at stake, not for the scientists, not for Al Gore. The entities that will cash in by delaying policies that may (MAY) reduce the catastrophic effects of climate change are NOT the scientists!

Mankind is a relatively new species on this planet, where 99.9% of all species have become extinct. I have no doubt that as climate change unfolds over the next 100-500 years, humans will adapt to most of the changes and fight off the the hordes of refugees from places like Malaysia who will no longer have a home (heck, I even have my own "theory" that if places like Siberia and the Yukon warm up, maybe these displaced millions can be re-settled there). What bugs me the most is that we, our generation, the wealthiest generation of human beings at any time or in any place in history, would recklessy abandon our children and grandchildren to a lower standard of living and the civil strife and political turbulence that will erupt as a consequence of our greed and selfishness in doing nothing to reduce the damage. I'm embarrassed to be part of such a generation.

I don't think climate change is purely a political or ideological issue, but I think politicians and ideologues have latched on to it as one more way to polarize the electorate.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

Come on Terry...just because you don't agree, doesn't mean you can't be civil....meaning....respect other's opinions. We are all entitled ya know.

I think we are all making valid points here.

Come on Terry it's all how you view comments - reality and truths aren't easily accepted sometimes.

Read it again and you'll notice I'm nuetral on this thread - why the false accusations? Seriously...

Terry K

AND you'll notice each side is pointing their finger at each other.. and falsely accusing...

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Wow. Republicans just aren't very smart. And I suppose you all believe the earthquake in Haiti was caused by a "Pact with Satan" as well?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Stephanie Logan said:
It makes me think of the "hoax" perpetuated by Galileo that the Catholic church had no trouble "debunking", because most people were not scientists and did not understand how science operates. After all, one could clearly see that the sun rose every day, travelled across the sky, and then set at night. If the earth were turning, why couldn't we feel it? Why didn't we fall off? Everyone "knew" that Ptolemy and Aristotle, great scholars of ancient Greece, were correct in their geocentric view of the universe, and the Church confirmed it. Period.

In 1992, the Church officially apologized to Galileo, who not just agreed with the Copernican model of a helio-centric universe, but had the audacity to write down and teach his findings. He was held under house arrest till his death in 1642, and the Church succeeded in slowing down the scientific truth for nearly 100 years. Some say Galileo even recanted on his death bed. But he was right.

My daughter Emily is studying aerospace engineering and elecrical engineering at the University of Colorado at Boulder. She wants to be a NASA astronaut someday. She is currently studying both physics and thermodynamics. She shows me the problems she works, which are all symbols and gibberish to me, but that does not mean that what she studies is a hoax. It's science. Emily is in charge of the RocketSat 6 project, in which her team of student scientists will launch a payload on a rocket this summer. Their payload is a device that will measure particles in the atmosphere (btw, Mars and the other planets have no atmosphere so comparing their planetary temperatures to earth is an "apples to oranges" model), to compare how prevalent those particles are at various distances from the earth. Their data will be compared to millions of other data to ascertain the degree of global climate change and the pace at which it is taking place. Emily is neither an ideologue nor a dupe, and she is convinced the science of climate change is sound.

My nephew graduated from the Air Force Academy in 2007, then was selected to complete his Master's Degree in Aerospace Engineering at MIT. (He also hopes to be an astronaut someday). His mother, my sister, is very conservative politically and also believes climate change is a hoax. My nephew has confided in me how embarassing it is for him to bring fellow pilots home from training and have to listen to his mother rant on about science she doesn't understand, and therefore must be false. She quotes the same talk show entertainers and fringe members of the scientific community, many of whom are probably bankrolled by major oil companies. Again, there are hundreds of billions of dollars in profits at stake, not for the scientists, not for Al Gore. The entities that will cash in by delaying policies that may (MAY) reduce the catastrophic effects of climate change are NOT the scientists!

Mankind is a relatively new species on this planet, where 99.9% of all species have become extinct. I have no doubt that as climate change unfolds over the next 100-500 years, humans will adapt to most of the changes and fight off the the hordes of refugees from places like Malaysia who will no longer have a home (heck, I even have my own "theory" that if places like Siberia and the Yukon warm up, maybe these displaced millions can be re-settled there). What bugs me the most is that we, our generation, the wealthiest generation of human beings at any time or in any place in history, would recklessy abandon our children and grandchildren to a lower standard of living and the civil strife and political turbulence that will erupt as a consequence of our greed and selfishness in doing nothing to reduce the damage. I'm embarrassed to be part of such a generation.

I don't think climate change is purely a political or ideological issue, but I think politicians and ideologues have latched on to it as one more way to polarize the electorate.

Stephanie I can see why you and I have gotten into trouble in the past.. held accountable?.. looking at the facts objectively?.. considering the feelings of others and sharing with others ( which is the "gifteds'" responsibilty ).. naa - "I had to work hard for it.. so I'm keeping it for myself!" ME-ME-ME

I apologize for this 'burst-of-reality'...

Terry K

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Law of motion. A body persists in a state of uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force

What is really happening here is that the Earth is slowing down and therefore its orbit is getting closer to the Sun.

That's why it has been getting warmer over the decades. Unless you are in Michigan, then it just keeps getting colder.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Shelly said:
Wow. Republicans just aren't very smart. And I suppose you all believe the earthquake in Haiti was caused by a "Pact with Satan" as well?

36_12_6.gif
36_12_6.gif
36_12_6.gif

This is better than any "Soap Opera" out there.. I'm having a ball stirring this up.. [ and it saddens me also to think of where these attitudes are taking us. The "richest" nation on the planet??? - How? ]

Yeah.. 'the devil made me do it!'...

Terry K

"Lie and deny.. deny and accuse!"! Where's that going to get us?

All of these accusations.. and 'they' don't want to play "hard-ball"!

Terry K

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
webskipper said:
Law of motion. A body persists in a state of uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force

What is really happening here is that the Earth is slowing down and therefore its orbit is getting closer to the Sun.

That's why it has been getting warmer over the decades. Unless you are in Michigan, then it just keeps getting colder.

And along that same line, I'm thinking that because the spin is slowing down, the earth is starting to wobble, as a spinning object does as it slows down. This changes the orientation of the poles and the equator.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sorry but mars does have an atmosphere it is just thinner than ours and different composition than ours. And since you wont accept anything without proof here is one of hundreds I saw on bing
http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_kids/AskKids/mars_atmosphere.shtml
Granted it is a kids science site but it clearly explains mars atmosphere, I did not want to get to technical in my answer. So do most of the other planets and many many moons also have them, so anything else you wanna try and discredit in my post?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
The moon is still made of cheese.

“Of course the moons made of cheese - how else do you describe the hole and the yellow colour? How can it be cheese? It makes perfect sense.”
~ Albert Einstein ate the moon for his lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.