Giant Paraguayan Red-foot Tortoise

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
This is Jim Buskirk with a huge Paraguayan red-footed tortoise, Chelonoidis carbonaria, from the vicinity of Filadelfia, Paraguay. November 19th, 1999.

This old boy was (still is?) the officially recorded largest red-foot tortoise known. He weighed 28 kg and was 59.3 cm in carapace length. Photographed at the local zoological garden in Filadelfia.
What is interesting to me is the degree of natural pyramiding that occurred with this wild raised old beast. I've seen other large imported Paraguayan as well as Bolivian Chaco red-footed tortoises that were similarly humped. Only guessing here but maybe the harsh seasonally dry conditions contributed to this condition?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is Jim Buskirk with a huge Paraguayan red-footed tortoise, Chelonoidis carbonaria, from the vicinity of Filadelfia, Paraguay. November 19th, 1999.

This old boy was (still is?) the officially recorded largest red-foot tortoise known. He weighed 28 kg and was 59.3 cm in carapace length. Photographed at the local zoological garden in Filadelfia.
What is interesting to me is the degree of natural pyramiding that occurred with this wild raised old beast. I've seen other large imported Paraguayan as well as Bolivian Chaco red-footed tortoises that were similarly humped. Only guessing here but maybe the harsh seasonally dry conditions contributed to this condition?

That's amazing.

So even in the wild it could be a case of freak unnatural dry conditions cause pyramiding?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I wouldn't call it freak unnatural. It's quite regular and natural. But it might result in pyramids
I'm on my phone and photo is small.
But although it has pyramiding, it looks like the growth rings are smoothed out. Is this the constant rubbing on natural objects?

Are pyramided reds popular in the wild?

If so.....

I'm now thinking it's another case of what turtlepete said the other day, we are aiming to provide a better captive environment than they would actually get in the wild.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
The large group of imported Bolivian adults (500+) that I saw in 1984 did have a large number of animals with moderate pyramiding. You're right about the smoothing effect of years of plowing through underbrush, sticks and the walls of mammal burrows.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Having seen the image before and discussion with Jim. it seem like there is a good chance the tortoises gained a half to one inch or so increase in diameter per scute in the zoo, and previous 'wild' growth in nature. Much of the area in southern south America where redfoots live is seasonally dry to year round dry. By dry I mean no standing water and plants go into drought tolerance mode.

Great picture to see. I'm not sure if Jim visits us here on TFO, but he has a wealth on knowledge not matched by many.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Having seen the image before and discussion with Jim. it seem like there is a good chance the tortoises gained a half to one inch or so increase in diameter per scute in the zoo, and previous 'wild' growth in nature. Much of the area in southern south America where redfoots live is seasonally dry to year round dry. By dry I mean no standing water and plants go into drought tolerance mode.

Great picture to see. I'm not sure if Jim visits us here on TFO, but he has a wealth on knowledge not matched by many.
That would explain the different look at the boarder of the scutes. You can also see the growth rings have not smoothed off whilst in captivity.