Wild Red-footed Tortoises Cerro Leon, Paraguay

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
These photos are courtesy of Jim 'Diego' Buskirk, Turtleman Extraordinaire. They are from a red-footed tortoise, Chelonoidis carbonaria, hunting trip into the Cerro Leon region of Paraguay which is part of the Gran Chaco, back on November 8, 1999. According to Diego, it was extremely hot and very, very dry.
Please excuse the quality of these images--they are photos of prints that Diego sent me years ago.This is a view of the countryside.

As you can see, the region is extremely dry. Not what most would consider good red-foot habitat.

Here is one of Diego's hunting companions Jakob Unger (the other two being Thomas and Sabine Vinke) holding a just found tortoise. I can imagine his joy!

Jakob's tortoise was found inside the mouth of the mammal burrow that you can see just behind him.
A closer view of the tortoise...

Look, Diego found one as well! What a beauty.

Like Jacob's tortoise, this one was also found inside a mammal burrow. In this case the large (giant armadillo) burrow located behind Mr. Buskirk.
A closer view...

55347135-3e7e-4141-8d29-ed6ba6d1df18_zpsb9nbm3fm.jpg

In habitat. Notice the very dry conditions and relatively open floor. In the rainy season this becomes lush thorn scrub. There are two distinct seasons here as regards to moisture.

Diego again...notice the very dark plastron?

In my opinion these giant Chaco region red-footed tortoise are as different from the northern 'types' as the northern animals are from yellow-footed tortoises, C. denticulata.
Here are some climate observations that Mr. Buskirk made that day. At midday the conditions were very dry and the ambient temperature was near 100 degrees F. By 2:00 PM when he found his tortoise, a stiff wind had come up from the south and temperatures began to drop rapidly. During the night slight rain appeared but the temperatures continued to plummet to near freezing by dawn the next day.
However, within a day or so, temperatures were back up to the upper 80s again. November 8 is the start of summer in the Gran Chaco.

Last edited:

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That is pretty cool! Thanks for the great info, as always.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome ! More pictures please !

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Interesting to see the savanna habitats during dry season. Sounds like many of the tortoises were found in mammal burrows? I'd guess they were in torpor/aestivation until wet season returned?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
These photos are courtesy of Jim 'Diego' Buskirk, Turtleman Extraordinaire. They are from a red-footed tortoise, Chelonoidis carbonaria, hunting trip into the Cerro Leon region of Paraguay which is part of the Gran Chaco, back on November 8, 1999. According to Diego, it was extremely hot and very, very dry.
Please excuse the quality of these images--they are photos of prints that Diego sent me years ago.This is a view of the countryside.

As you can see, the region is extremely dry. Not what most would consider good red-foot habitat.

Here is one of Diego's hunting companions Jakob Unger (the other two being Thomas and Sabine Vinke) holding a just found tortoise. I can imagine his joy!

Jakob's tortoise was found inside the mouth of the mammal burrow that you can see just behind him.
A closer view of the tortoise...

Look, Diego found one as well! What a beauty.

Like Jacob's tortoise, this one was also found inside a mammal burrow. In this case the large (giant armadillo) burrow located behind Mr. Buskirk.
A closer view...

55347135-3e7e-4141-8d29-ed6ba6d1df18_zpsb9nbm3fm.jpg

In habitat. Notice the very dry conditions and relatively open floor. In the rainy season this becomes lush thorn scrub. There are two distinct seasons here as regards to moisture.

Diego again...notice the very dark plastron?

In my opinion these giant Chaco region red-footed tortoise are as different from the northern 'types' as the northern animals are from yellow-footed tortoises, C. denticulata.
Here are some climate observations that Mr. Buskirk made that day. At midday the conditions were very dry and the ambient temperature was near 100 degrees F. By 2:00 PM when he found his tortoise, a stiff wind had come up from the south and temperatures began to drop rapidly. During the night slight rain appeared but the temperatures continued to plummet to near freezing by dawn the next day.
However, within a day or so, temperatures were back up to the upper 80s again. November 8 is the start of summer in the Gran Chaco.
Excellent info Carl.
Do you think the mammal burrows would still hold some humidity in dry season?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also, what would the diet consist of during these harsh periods? I assume growth almost comes to a stop whilst it's dry, and the food source is low.
Does this mean torts can hold out for months with no food?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Redstrike and Anyfoot, good questions.
Red-footed tortoises use mammal burrows throughout their range. The burrows are ideal as they offer more stable (humidity and temperature) microhabitats as well as protection from predators.
In the Chaco region the tortoises do not hibernate or aestivate in the usual sense. The temperature extremes in their winter last for short periods of time...only a couple of weeks at a time, if that. Then the weather moderates and the tortoises become active again.
In one paper I just read on burrow use in Bolivia, the authors said that carbonaria are active in all months of the year despite brief periods of freezing temperatures in winter. When the temps get close to 100 degrees in the summer, the animals are inactive except in the early morning or evening.
I have no idea what they eat during the dry season but I'm sure they locate something.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Maybe you could get Jim to just post a bunch of his explorations from around the world. It would be good to see a bit more humility come out. But he may not want to for all the those otherwise trapped by the internet and who have not gotten out of the house or 'room' to know a tortoise or turtle in the wild.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Redstrike and Anyfoot, good questions.
Red-footed tortoises use mammal burrows throughout their range. The burrows are ideal as they offer more stable (humidity and temperature) microhabitats as well as protection from predators.
In the Chaco region the tortoises do not hibernate or aestivate in the usual sense. The temperature extremes in their winter last for short periods of time...only a couple of weeks at a time, if that. Then the weather moderates and the tortoises become active again.
In one paper I just read on burrow use in Bolivia, the authors said that carbonaria are active in all months of the year despite brief periods of freezing temperatures in winter. When the temps get close to 100 degrees in the summer, the animals are inactive except in the early morning or evening.
I have no idea what they eat during the dry season but I'm sure they locate something.

In my spare time, I've been acquainting myself with Vinke & Vetter's volume on redfoots and the more I learn the more respect I have for this species of tortoise. I think the most interesting thing about this species is their distribution across much of central and south America, which encompasses a broad range of habitats with very different environments. I'm starting to think they have a lot of phenotypic plasticity and may be dietary generalists to deal with such variability.

Very amazing species!