Getting Warmer, Letting Tort Outside

carfac

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Friends!

BG: Sri Lankan Star, and we are in Salt Lake City- a high desert (4500 ft) and generally VERY dry (10-20)

Its started getting nice out this week, so we let Scooter outside to play. She has a good indoor habitat and spa, and she is generally in the high 80s with 80-90 % humidity. AFter a couple days, I thought it would be nice to dedicate a whole side yard to her. I cleaned it up, bought some low fencing, covered the window wells, made a burrow, put out a pool, and took an old enclosure and made that into a hidey hole for her too. She has full sun, partial sun, shade, and burrows, so I hope all the variety she needs.

I put her out yesterday, and put her right into her old enclosure.... and she immediately 4WD'd outta there and to her favorite corner of the yard. After an hour, I put her back in there, and again, off she went to her favorite corner...a place where the fence makes a corner and is in shade.

Her first three days out there she seemed VERY active, but yesterday she just wanted to hang in her corner. Her first 3 days she was out maybe 1-2 hours.... yesterday she was out 4 and a half.

Also I have noticed she seems tired after her excursions.... she's usually up for food at 7 AM, and she was staying in her indoor burrow until 830 or 9.

SO here is my concern.

After I brought her back in yesterday, her shell was suddenly COVERED with water. I mean dripping off, running off water. It may be that her shell was warm and dry and the enclosure is high humidity, but I have NEVER seen this before. Anything to be worried about? AM I leaving her out too long?

We are thinking about getting a small sprinker to go off every half hour or so while she's un the yard.... should we do that?

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hi Friends!

BG: Sri Lankan Star, and we are in Salt Lake City- a high desert (4500 ft) and generally VERY dry (10-20)

Its started getting nice out this week, so we let Scooter outside to play. She has a good indoor habitat and spa, and she is generally in the high 80s with 80-90 % humidity. AFter a couple days, I thought it would be nice to dedicate a whole side yard to her. I cleaned it up, bought some low fencing, covered the window wells, made a burrow, put out a pool, and took an old enclosure and made that into a hidey hole for her too. She has full sun, partial sun, shade, and burrows, so I hope all the variety she needs.

I put her out yesterday, and put her right into her old enclosure.... and she immediately 4WD'd outta there and to her favorite corner of the yard. After an hour, I put her back in there, and again, off she went to her favorite corner...a place where the fence makes a corner and is in shade.

Her first three days out there she seemed VERY active, but yesterday she just wanted to hang in her corner. Her first 3 days she was out maybe 1-2 hours.... yesterday she was out 4 and a half.

Also I have noticed she seems tired after her excursions.... she's usually up for food at 7 AM, and she was staying in her indoor burrow until 830 or 9.

SO here is my concern.

After I brought her back in yesterday, her shell was suddenly COVERED with water. I mean dripping off, running off water. It may be that her shell was warm and dry and the enclosure is high humidity, but I have NEVER seen this before. Anything to be worried about? AM I leaving her out too long?

We are thinking about getting a small sprinker to go off every half hour or so while she's un the yard.... should we do that?

This may be just the opposite - the shell was too cold and the condensate is building on it. Just like with a container you pull out of the fridge. This is not bad at all, unless your tortoise is freezing outside.

I can't completely understand tortoise logic here... On colder days mine immediately seeks for the darkest and coldest corner and stays there. Of course, I have to put her back in the enclosure. Perhaps, she gets into the "safest hide" and waits for the warmer days to come.