Getting SL Stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So ive been emailing Larry for a bit and I just confirmed a 1.2 group of babies for march!...I'm really super excited. Like spent the night picking out names excited. I of course have to name them after stars/constellations but there are so many I can't decide ;) I really like Pyxis and andromeda, any ideas?

I know I have plenty of time to figure things out but I do love my research so any book, sites or threads here that anyone could reccomend or any advice anyone has would be welcome. I have and read Jerry Fife's star book over the holidays.

I have a Christmas tree box for them to start off in, do you think that would be big enough for three hatchlings? And I saw CLMoss has her little one on paper towels, is that recommended or can I do coir and soil like my sully has?

Anyway, just some questions that occurred to me. Mostly I'm just grinning on the inside....the outside too :D

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
kimber_lee_314 said:
Yay for you!!! Those names are cute - love them! :)

Thanks! I sometimes feel like my names get a bit ridiculous (or so my friends tell me :p) but I mostly use shortened versions anyway and pixie and rommie are cute too :D

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Oh wow how exciting! i love my leopards but i have to say... if i lived on enough land i would want stars too! I love the names... really love Andromeda. I like the name Cassiopeia but mostly because its fun to say ha ha ha.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
:) it is fun to say! Adding it to the short list...I really love bellatrix but that has more of Harry potter connotation than a star connotation now (not that I don't like HP, just not what I'm going for). Persephone is another name (and story) I love just because but has nothing to do with celestial bodies...well I guess it is a planet when you're in the right company ;)

:) it is fun to say! Adding it to the short list...I really love bellatrix but that has more of Harry potter connotation than a star connotation now (not that I don't like HP, just not what I'm going for). Persephone is another name (and story) I love just because but has nothing to do with celestial bodies...well I guess it is a planet when you're in the right company ;)

Oops..

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Ana,
How Cool! Larry is just a sweetheart! He will give you all the information you need for you little hatchlings (culture sheet). And yes, the paper towels are recommended until they reach 50-75grams. My little girl (Becky) is doing great. She has her morning bath, eats her greens w/vits, chews on her cuttle bone and then take a nap under her basking lite until around 5 pm. Then she is ready for her evening snack! The Christmas tree box sound really big! You have to remember that these are tiny little hatchlings. Ask larry about the size. Also you can call me anytime to talk about you little stars! LOL!
I am going to pick up my male around the same time. So I will also need a name... Maybe you can help me! LOL! And I know, like Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part."
Claudia

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
CLMoss said:
Ana,
How Cool! Larry is just a sweetheart! He will give you all the information you need for you little hatchlings (culture sheet). And yes, the paper towels are recommended until they reach 50-75grams. My little girl (Becky) is doing great. She has her morning bath, eats her greens w/vits, chews on her cuttle bone and then take a nap under her basking lite until around 5 pm. Then she is ready for her evening snack! The Christmas tree box sound really big! You have to remember that these are tiny little hatchlings. Ask larry about the size. Also you can call me anytime to talk about you little stars! LOL!
I am going to pick up my male around the same time. So I will also need a name... Maybe you can help me! LOL! And I know, like Tom Petty says, "The waiting is the hardest part."
Claudia

Thanks! And yes I know Larry will tell me everything I need to know...over researching is just my way of dealing with the wait ;) and I'm so used to my sully and more space always being better that I wasn't thinking...I can block off most of the tub with boxes and then remove them as needed.

Also any situation is a good situation for a Tom Petty reference!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Melly-n-shorty said:
how tiny are they?

Hi, This is Becky when she was one month old. She was around 1 1/2 inches and 24grams. Watching her grow is like waiting for water to boil... So I try not to take measurement too often. This is around the size that Ana will receive her male Stars from Larry. The hatch date for the new males should be around Feb 14th. I think that he wants to wait a month before sending them to SC. The female may be a bit older (around Becky's age) if it is from the same batch of females that he hatched in November. But only Ana knows this information. I am just guessing.

~C

Attachments

• beckyShellone.JPG
    beckyShellone.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Aww so tiny! Yes that's pretty much it except he said he had females hatching mid to late feb. As well so I think I'm getting those...I'm getting 2 females and one male, did I write it wrong in the OP?

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
ShadowRancher said:
Aww so tiny! Yes that's pretty much it except he said he had females hatching mid to late feb. As well so I think I'm getting those...I'm getting 2 females and one male, did I write it wrong in the OP?

how do you know they are female and male already? you have perked my interests lol. hope you dont mind the questions. :shy:

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Melly-n-shorty said:
ShadowRancher said:

how do you know they are female and male already? you have perked my interests lol. hope you dont mind the questions. :shy:

No worries, wouldn't have posted if I didn't want questions :) the breeder I'm getting them from temp sexes while he's cooking his eggs so there is a better chance of me getting 1.2 but I suppose it's never perfect

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
ShadowRancher said:

I believe that you got it right on the op. One male and two females.

Ana, Larry showed me his adults males and females. The females are really big! They were coming over to me to check me out from there pens. You may need two or three of those Christmas boxs when they are fully grown... Keep us informed about any updates that Larry sends to you.
~C

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
CLMoss said:
Ana, Larry showed me his adults males and females. The females are really big! They were coming over to me to check me out from there pens. You may need two or three of those Christmas boxs when they are fully grown... Keep us informed about any updates that Larry sends to you.
~C

haha yeah, I plan on setting up outdoor enclosures when they are big, the boxes are just for the little guys...and I'll definitely keep posting updates! :p

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Melly-n-shorty said:
Oh wow that is cool! I didn't know you could do that!

Yeah it's pretty neat, most torts have temperature dependent sex (meaning there is no chromosomal difference between male and female like our X and Y it just depends how warm they were in in the egg)... Girls are generally higher temps and boys lower

Status
Not open for further replies.