Getting set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Well I'm new here and just getting setup for a new leopard tortoise.
I've decided to use one of those sweater boxes for a first home.
So far I've picked up 2 lights(100WSun Glo basking spot, and 26W Repti Glo 5.0 UVB), 2 shallow dishes, 2 hides yet to be manufactured, playsand, organic soil, Forest Bark from Exo Terra, temp and humidity gages, and still need to get vitamins/calcium and possibly some toroise food to go with the salad mix.
I think that's all I need?
One question though, for the substrate do I mix the bark in with the soils or just make mounds of it, in cetain spots?
Also is the Repti Glo 5.0 UVB the one that's not good for eyes? It's a coiled bulb.
Oh forgot to mention that I'll be picking up a ceramic heater also. since our house has a tendancy to be cool.
Thanks for reading and any help is greatly appreciated:).

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Sounds good so far. I keep mine on a soil/sand mix. You could mix the bark in, or pile it in an area to see if they like to burrow in it. They all like different things, which you will find out over time. I wouldn't buy tortoise food yet simply because you really don't know what they like. I went through several types before I found food mine eat, which is Mazuri. Best bet is to ask whoever you buy them from what they have been feeding them and start with that, then add other foods to see what they like.

Now all you need are the torts! Good Luck! :)

Where are you located? Others on this forum in yoru area can probably help you locate some torts or at least good breeders to buy from.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A lot of times the bark you buy for reptiles really isn't good to use for little tortoises. You want to be sure it doesn't contain pine. I usually buy Zoo Med's Forest Floor, which is really cypress mulch. There is also a product called Cypress bed. I don't mix the cypress mulch with anything. I know that we tell you to mix sand and coconut coir together, and lots of folks do, but I have seen radiographs of babies with sand impaction, and I don't use sand AT ALL anyplace around babies. I also don't like the coconut coir because of all the strings it contains. That's just my personal choice. Others use it without any adverse effects, so now the choice is yours. There has also been some bad effects using the coiled bulbs. We have some back-and-forth comments here on the forum about them. I THINK the problems have been addressed by the manufacturer, and the new bulbs are ok, but some of the OLD bulbs might still be out there for sale.

Yvonne

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Okay sounds like I'm making progress.
Forgot to mention that I also picked up a temperature gun at Canadian Tire. It was on sale for $29.49 regular $99.99. Thought it would be a good thing to use for quick checks of temp..
I'm still researching the humidity aspect of the enclosure.
I've read that it's good to have 2 hides one dry and one moist.
They say to use spagnum moss, moistened and placed in the hide? Any ideas on this?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.