Getting a Russian Tortoise!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonf1939

5 Year Member
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!! I'm getting a Russian Tortoise. I'm actually kinda nervous, though. I'm still trying to figure out if they hibernate, and if they do, do I just let them sleep in their tub? Or do I have to actually make something for them to sleep in? Also, I'm scared that his or her home is too small. I dont know exactly how big it is but it looks about 3 feet by 3 feet. Maybe about 5-6 inches high. If that is too small, I'll try to upgrade. I'm also sort of worried that I'll feed him some sort of toxic plants. I know alot of them,(anonite, anemone, azalea, begonia, bird of paradise, buttercup, calla lily, cyclamen, daffodil, dianthus, foxglove, hemlock, hydrangea, ivy, lily of the valley, lobelia, mistletoe, nightshade, oleander, prunus speicies, ragwart, rhododendron, and sweet pea) but I cant tell what a plant is just from looking at it and I know that thats not a full list. I'm scared that while he is with me he will get sick. There is only one thing I'm certain about: he will be healthy because I'm getting him from a tortoise breeder and right now the guy is checking to make sure my tortoise is healthy. I love tortoises so I cant wait untill I get him. thanks,
jonf1939

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
Your in the right place! I am sure that all of your questions will be answered.

Welcome!

Claudia

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
jonf1939 said:
Welcome... you came to the right place.. start reading.. :)

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!! I'm getting a Russian Tortoise. I'm actually kinda nervous, though. I'm still trying to figure out if they hibernate, and if they do, do I just let them sleep in their tub?

relax... Deep Breath.... Yes, they hibernate.. IF you want them to or if they are too cold or not enough light (12-14 hours per day)

Or do I have to actually make something for them to sleep in?

You should provide a hide.. and he will use it and will burrow down into your substrate.. Mulch is recommended.

Also, I'm scared that his or her home is too small. I dont know exactly how big it is but it looks about 3 feet by 3 feet. Maybe about 5-6 inches high.

Bigger the better.. 6 inches might be to short.. Russians can climb and are great at escaping.. It need to be taller then they are long on thier toes stretched out. and take into consieration your substrate will add height and anything he can climb on.

Feeding: if you are that scared.. then feed him only greens and produce from the grocery store. THings You can safely eat, until you learn the weeds in your area.

When you are getting him? Be sure you have everything ready. Heat, lamps, enclosure, food.

jonf1939

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone! Really. Guess what!!!! I finally got my tortoise! He is healthy and happy living with me. His name is Steve. He eats romaine lettuce and chopped up fresh raw green beans. He lives in about two inches of cypres mulch. Apparently, he is around 50 years old. About 5 inches. He often burrows and on warm days I will let him go outside for a bit and just crawl around. I love Steve!!!

Thanks,
jonf1939

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jonf1949:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Status
Not open for further replies.