Getting a new heater, open to suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lucija, Slovenia
Well, it is like this. I have, well, i had a heater..when i unscrewed the light and i wanted to replace it with the heater for the night..well..lets just say...when i was screwing the heater on, his neck just broke. The ceramic neck or whatever it is, was so soft that with just little pressure it went from rock to sand :)
And i had him running now for 2 nights lol. I got him last year, but i didnt use him much.

I had this one http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heat_wave_lamp.php
The 100w model.

What I am asking is, what do you guys recommend me? Should I buy the same thing, or any other of this lap/heaters?
http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heating.php

In my pet shop they have only Exo-Terra things, just to keep in mind.

I was thinking of getting this one: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/heat_glo_heating.php
But would this thing harm in any way my tort that would be sleeping UNDER it? Because i will make a sleeping-only little enclosure, where my Leo will just sleep in it, and in the morning i will place him back in his day enclosure. Its easier to keep a high temp in a little box, than in a big box, this is what i think at least :p

Tnx, Niko

Ps. here is a pic of the lamer http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7170/slika0241.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

If it's just for sleeping get a black light bulb, that's what I use and they work great

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have a Petco or Petsmart close by? They sell Zoo Med products. I personally like their ceramic heat emitters. I have used one for about 3 years now, still gives the same amount of heat. I have handled it a lot and it has never broken or cracked on me. You might be able to get one for cheaper online with shipping than in the store.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Might want to check out (reptile basic radiant heat panels) go to faq on there web site and read up on them. Must be used with a controller. I got the 40 w one three weeks ago and it seems to be working good for me, they are not cheap but they claim they can last for years.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Bummer about the broken heater!

My vote is against the infrared glowy one. Looks like it emits visible light, which will disrupt the little dudes sleep. For overhead night time heating CHE is the way to go.

Underneath stuff is nice, but can be trickier to safely do, depending on the enclosure.

As you've learned, those CHE don't seem to like to be screwed in and screwed out alot. Better to get a second fixture :)

like Maggie said a blacked out light bulb makes a great heater. I've never tried it, but if they don't have them in your stores I imagine you could just spray paint one with high heat paint. I'd make sure to test run it a couple days first though to make sure the paint doesn't burn/peel and to make sure all the fumes are cured out.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I to have a radiant heat panel Got it a few weeks ago my torts seem ot like it as find them under it a lot :cool:

Nofx

5 Year Member
Lucija, Slovenia
Haha the funniest thing happened to me today..2 of my lights, the Uvb and the basking spot light just died. Ironic.
Well anyway. My enclosure is 1/3 lower. It was to high and as a result the heat was just getting lost and all so its a bit better looking that the old one :)

I got the infrared heating light, ye it emits a bit of a red light, but still, my leo is under a slim 'roof' so Its Ok. And he is all warm and wet.

Tomorrow i will buy the CHE anyway, its better to have dark than a red light, seems like it's a red light district down there haha :D
And allso i will buy the UVB light, i will try to buy the MVB but if they dont have them, then i will buy the same one i had before.
It does not harm the torts eye's, so i guess its ok.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like Balboa said, buy an extra light fixture. It saves time to not have to be unscrewing the bulb to place the CHE. Get a new fixture strictly for the CHE and make sure it has a ceramic base, not a plastic base. It really doesn't matter what brand of CHE (ceramic heat emitter like yours that broke) you buy, they're all the same quality product. There was just something wrong with yours from the start. You're lucky it broke while you were handling it and not while it was on and no one home. If it were me, I'd take the broken pieces back and see if the store can send them back to the supplier and get your money back.

Nofx

5 Year Member
Lucija, Slovenia
Yes yes yes, I placed it today, just for the heater.

Wow! I didn't think of that ending..Ehh guess I'm lucky. :/
Uff no can do, I got that heater more than a year a go, lost all track of the papers..Still, good idea!

One question, the 125/160w MVB emit a lot of heat? If they do ( i think they do ) i would just need one bulb instead of 3.
Tomorrow i will go to another pet shop, I hope they have it there.

Tnx for the help and reply's

Good night :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your MVB will be your heat source during the daytime then when you turn that off at night, the CHE (or heater as you call it) will keep the habitat warm during the night. That's all I have in mine...two fixtures, one for day one for night.

Nofx

5 Year Member
Lucija, Slovenia
emysemys said:
Your MVB will be your heat source during the daytime then when you turn that off at night, the CHE (or heater as you call it) will keep the habitat warm during the night. That's all I have in mine...two fixtures, one for day one for night.

:cool:

With just this bulb i get a temp of 86-90 and the air in there is warm, steam warm!
Later i will test the CHE. Cant wait to see in a few days, if there will be any improvement from his little nose.

Niko

Ps. lol, in that pic, the left thing is pizza, so dont panic hah

Status
Not open for further replies.