General care questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortx2

5 Year Member
I just recently adopted two and am working on getting a larger enclosure built. In the meanwhile unwanted to make sure I'm keeping them as happy as possible in their temporary home.

They are currently in a Rubbermaid tote with cypress mulch and sand for substrate. I'm going to get rid if the sand soon though.

I have a Powersun bulb for heat and uv. What are the ideal temp zones in should be maintaining?what should the humidity be?

I have a piece of slate for food and a clay saucer for water. I try to take them outside to graze everyday weather permitting.

What else do I need?

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
During the day, basking temps should be 90-100 F. Ambient temp should by 68-78 F. Humidity should be above 50%. Since I have my tort in an open top enclosure, I like to try and get it as high as I can (usually 65-70% max) since so much is lost without an enclosure top.

Do they have a hide? Some plants? They need to feel like they can hide/borrow if they want. And plants help break up sight lines and make it more interesting.

How old are they? You mention you have 2 - Eventually you may need to separate them. They generally don't play well together, especially if both end up being males. Also, were they together when you adopted? If not, you should be quarantining them separately.

Tortx2

5 Year Member
They were together when I adopted them. However in the two weeks I've had them I have confirmed they are a male and female. So I have separated them. They are at least 7 years old.

Thanks for the temp and humidity information. I will work on adding some more features to the enclosures to help make them feel more at home.

How much space at a minimum for each tortoise? I want to make sure infer something big enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.