gender please:)

lynnefay

Location (City and/or State)
OREGON
Hello All,
I hope you had a wonderful holiday season. Please see the attached photo. These are my 2 redfoots. They are both rescues. The one on the left I adopted today, from another person who has had them a year after adopting them themselves. The one on the right I adopted early this fall from the humane society, it had been found wandering a park in Tacoma.
The woman who gave me the one on the left said it was a boy. It is 6" long. The one on the right is almost 5" long, but has the wasp waist already. Both have flat plasterons.
I am curious to what you think.
Both boys...or? Not trying to breed them. Just wondering.
Also, the adorable dog in the background? That is Edgar. He loves the tortoise on the right more than anything. It is kinda of a weird devotion, and no, they are not allowed to be together. He worships the tortoise from afar.
Anyway, what gender do you think they are?
Thank you:)

Attachments

• redfoot bottoms.jpg
    redfoot bottoms.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The sex isn't obvious to me yet either. Be sure to house them separately. The new one needs to be quarantined and they should never live in pairs.

lynnefay

OREGON
While it would appear that you MIGHT have one of each there, it's not possible to tell sex at that age and size.
Not for sure anyway.
i was thinking one of each myself.
i feel like the people i got them from said the opposite.

lynnefay

OREGON
The sex isn't obvious to me yet either. Be sure to house them separately. The new one needs to be quarantined and they should never live in pairs.
no worries, they are only together for the photo op. thank you though:)

lynnefay

OREGON
also, gotta say, for Tom to reply....it is like a celebrity sighting! thank you, Tom:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
At best, it's a guess.
So somebody is right.
I was wrong about the sex of my eldest tortoise until HE was about 8. HE was one of six in my ALL FEMALE group!
They can remain subtle and female looking for a very long time.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
At best, it's a guess.
So somebody is right.
I was wrong about the sex of my eldest tortoise until HE was about 8. HE was one of six in my ALL FEMALE group!
His fooling you made him and his genes very happy, lol.

lynnefay

OREGON

At best, it's a guess.
So somebody is right.
what would you guess though? just out of curiousity

lynnefay

OREGON
can anyone just give me some hints on what to look for in the future? i don't know the gender differences in the shell notch. the tail i know. but i watched like 17 videos and they literally flip flopped from v is girl, to v is boy in each one. i have seen diagrams posted that negate the information on the previous diagram i viewed

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Whatever sex they are, just make sure your dog continues to be absolutely unable to make any contact with them.

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
i give up
Oh, don't give up. If you have the dough, you can have the DNA test done. If just looking at their tails, you might have one male and one female. However at 5" and 6" there's no guarantee. We're just guessing. Good luck and have fun with them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The male will get a concave plastron and an "hourglass waistline" on the sides of the carapace. The tail will be long and fat. The notch will be V shaped. (Usually)
Right now, both look female. But one has more of a V notch.
My male adult Redfoot has a wide U notch. A V doesn't always indicate a male. So I wouldn't try to say for sure that you have a pair.

Last edited:

lynnefay

OREGON
Oh, don't give up. If you have the dough, you can have the DNA test done. If just looking at their tails, you might have one male and one female. However at 5" and 6" there's no guarantee. We're just guessing. Good luck and have fun with them.
no, i mean i give up on asking anything. everytime someone asks a question on this site, someone gives them a lecture on not what to do that has nothing to do with the question asked. i'm not an idiot. i don't let my dog anywhere near my tortoises, it is just frustrating. just because i have not owned this breed before:/

lynnefay

OREGON
The male will get a concave plastron and an "hourglass waistline" on the sides of the carapace. The tail will be long and fat. The notch will be V shaped. (Usually)
Right now, both look female. But one has more of a V notch.
My male adult Redfoot has a wide U notch. A V doesn't always indicate a male. So I wouldn't try to say for sure that you have a pair.
thank you very much:)
but which looks more male? the left or right side?

lynnefay

OREGON
no, i mean i give up on asking anything. everytime someone asks a question on this site, someone gives them a lecture on not what to do that has nothing to do with the question asked. i'm not an idiot. i don't let my dog anywhere near my tortoises, it is just frustrating. just because i have not owned this breed before:/
actually, species