Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I've started a whole bunch of mulberry cuttings. Some have leaves now. I'm hoping they root. I cut some more today to start.
Do you think you might be able to ship some of them? I'd love to have some, would pay for shipping and/or gladly reciprocate with some of my garden bounty

Pearly

5 Year Member
I just did something that would horrify most gardeners. I planted dandelion seeds in my garden and transplanted some from the yard. Something only a turtle nerd would do.:)
Not at all! Last night I visited friend who just adopted new puppy from a pound. We took her dogs for a walk to the nearby river. I found bunch of weeds there and one really resembled plantain, which I have NEVER seen it around here before. I didn't have my phone with me but will be sure to bring it on doggy walk with her next time so I can post picture for id of this weed. Meanwhile , just in case it is plantain, i pulled several plants with the whole root system and brought them home last night. And I won't tell my husband what this is. He would have a fit

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The first picture is from day 14ish and the second and third are from day 20.

IMAG1841.jpg IMAG1869.jpg IMAG1871.jpg

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Hey! These look great!!! Super healthy!

The girl in me also can't help but notice what a pretty little desktop garden the setup makes. My grow lights are always so stinkin' hideous.

Oh, I know all about the hideousness of DIY grow setups indoors; I've done fluorescent & HID. The aesthetics were one of the biggest draws for me, I like pretty things too. And I think I'm gonna give some of these for Christmas next (this) year so might as well give it a go to make sure they work.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
So jealous!!
Not at all! Last night I visited friend who just adopted new puppy from a pound. We took her dogs for a walk to the nearby river. I found bunch of weeds there and one really resembled plantain, which I have NEVER seen it around here before. I didn't have my phone with me but will be sure to bring it on doggy walk with her next time so I can post picture for id of this weed. Meanwhile , just in case it is plantain, i pulled several plants with the whole root system and brought them home last night. And I won't tell my husband what this is. He would have a fit
I can probably help you identify the plantain. :)
Oh, I know all about the hideousness of DIY grow setups indoors; I've done fluorescent & HID. The aesthetics were one of the biggest draws for me, I like pretty things too. And I think I'm gonna give some of these for Christmas next (this) year so might as well give it a go to make sure they work.
Plants and books make the best gifts!!

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Do you think you might be able to ship some of them? I'd love to have some, would pay for shipping and/or gladly reciprocate with some of my garden bounty

I'll have to wait and see if the smaller cuttings root. I'm not sure how I would ship the larger ones since they are not flat. At the moment I don't have a whole lot that are looking successful out of the first round that I started a few weeks ago. Only about half of the 16 cuttings look promising. With these new ones it's too early to tell. I may start more smaller ones if it looks like more people want them. Right now I have 30 cuttings. But yes, I'd be happy to work something out to send you some if they root.:)

Last edited:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'll have to wait and see if the smaller cuttings root. I'm not sure how I would ship the larger ones since they are not flat. At the moment I don't have a whole lot that are looking successful out of the first round that I started a few weeks ago. Only about half of the 16 cuttings look promising. With these new ones it's too early to tell. I may start more smaller ones if it looks like more people want them. Right now I have 30 cuttings. But yes, I'd be happy to work something out to send you some if they root.:)
I may also share an interest, but I will first have to look into the space available and such. ;) I hope they root!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thank you so much. I haven't seen mulberry growing nor being sold around here, but in recent years I've been noticing retailers get more and more plants that had never been available before in this climate zone. This year I even saw lilacs packaged as bare roots (kinda like they often sell roses). I recall big mulberry tree in my childhood in cold climate of central Europe, so not sure if it would do well in Texas heat and this very alcaline soil. But one never knows until she tries so if you ever get to a point where you can overnite tiny sapoling in 2 inch pot or otherwise protect the roots, I'd love to try it. And if you or anyone sees something I have that's of interest, please let me know

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

I am on your list, right?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thank you so much. I haven't seen mulberry growing nor being sold around here, but in recent years I've been noticing retailers get more and more plants that had never been available before in this climate zone. This year I even saw lilacs packaged as bare roots (kinda like they often sell roses). I recall big mulberry tree in my childhood in cold climate of central Europe, so not sure if it would do well in Texas heat and this very alcaline soil. But one never knows until she tries so if you ever get to a point where you can overnite tiny sapoling in 2 inch pot or otherwise protect the roots, I'd love to try it. And if you or anyone sees something I have that's of interest, please let me know
I happened to find a Morus rubra 'Super Dwarf' variety today but of course not a lot of places selling it. I'll keep looking more. It looks like a small plant that may not even fruit, which would be perfect for my Russian.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I've been growing this spine-less opuntia for a few years now Picture 293.jpg Picture 293 copy.jpg and can share some pads if anyone in a cold weather area would like to grow some.I have other types that I could share also. None of my cactus are showing any signs of new growth yet but it shouldn't be long before they start.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I've been growing this spine-less opuntia for a few years now View attachment 169165 View attachment 169164 and can share some pads if anyone in a cold weather area would like to grow some.I have other types that I could share also. None of my cactus are showing any signs of new growth yet but it shouldn't be long before they start.
I have one supposedly "spineless" but omg! The glochids!!!! Last year I tore most of it out, was wheelbarrow heaping loaded with pads that I had to throw away, no one seemed to want it. It was getting too big for where it's growingImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459619650.605004.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459619813.631503.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459619925.206669.jpg. It's about 17-18 yrs old and it only bloomed once (last year for the first time) with one gorgeous big "roselike" yellow flower. I have several different cacti but they are all young plants few of them in gallong pots, and few even smaller so it will be a while before I could share those, but this spineless one on thepictures is pretty prolific grower so after this summer I could share it's pads with you guys. That is, if it's determined to be "food grade" for the torts. I'm curious to know if it's any good for the babies to eat. I got it from a friend years ago and never knew exactly what kind of opuntia it was so hopefully someone on here can id it...? Please:)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I have one supposedly "spineless" but omg! The glochids!!!! Last year I tore most of it out, was wheelbarrow heaping loaded with pads that I had to throw away, no one seemed to want it. It was getting too big for where it's growingView attachment 169232View attachment 169243View attachment 169248. It's about 17-18 yrs old and it only bloomed once (last year for the first time) with one gorgeous big "roselike" yellow flower. I have several different cacti but they are all young plants few of them in gallong pots, and few even smaller so it will be a while before I could share those, but this spineless one on thepictures is pretty prolific grower so after this summer I could share it's pads with you guys. That is, if it's determined to be "food grade" for the torts. I'm curious to know if it's any good for the babies to eat. I got it from a friend years ago and never knew exactly what kind of opuntia it was so hopefully someone on here can id it...? Please:)
I love that it's grown so big that the lower parts are woody! I wonder how long cactuses can live... :rolleyes:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I've been growing this spine-less opuntia for a few years now View attachment 169165 View attachment 169164 and can share some pads if anyone in a cold weather area would like to grow some.I have other types that I could share also. None of my cactus are showing any signs of new growth yet but it shouldn't be long before they start.
That be would totally awesome! :D