Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

phebe121

Hooray for zone 4! Me too! My whiney post is that I want SWEET cherries...bwa bwa bwa bwaaaaaaa . I don't really care for tart cherries. I don't make that much cherry pie, but the kids and I could stuff ourselves silly with sweet cherries:) I even committed the crime of painstakingly pulling out all the choke cherries from my yard:)

I love that you're willing to teach your art! Very cool!

Just woundering how the rose of sharon seed worked out or if you planted any

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
<wipes embarrassed happy tears from her eyes> sniff sniff...I had no idea!! Thanks for pointing this out!

I even get this catalogue! What the heck...how did I not notice this!?!?! I'm totally getting this. Not sure how to keep the squirrels away...maybe I could net half of it and let them get the other half...hmmm.

SERIOUSLY...THANK YOU!!!!,VBgecko!!!

I net my entire tree …

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do the birds and other critters ever get caught in the net? I am lucky, I don't want the fruits and stuff, so the other critters are welcome to them.

Prairie Mom

Just woundering how the rose of sharon seed worked out or if you planted any
Hi Shannon:) Last time we Pmd about it, I got the impression that they grow really quickly. So, I decided to put them off a bit. The seeds are safe and dry. I'm actually about to start them when I start my tomatoes when I get back into town about the second week of January. I'll let you know how they do:) Merry Christmas, by the way! :D

Prairie Mom

Do the birds and other critters ever get caught in the net? I am lucky, I don't want the fruits and stuff, so the other critters are welcome to them.
I've wondered about this too, because I have squirrels and birds aplenty. I've only netted shrubs and do that all the time without any problem. I'm curious about a tree though. If I can find a place to put those sweet cherries I'm eyeing, I'll have to experiment with netting or else I won't see any.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter gave me a Christmas cactus for Christmas. It's a pretty pink color. As it happens, I don't have any of the Schlumbergera succulents, so this is a welcomed gift.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's beautiful! I have never had luck raising orchids.

phebe121

They are alot like torts lol put them in spragum moss water them with cold water soak them but let them drain dont tuch the leafs flowers or spike theoils from you hands they dont like itwill kill them and some of them need to plants to spike there vary emotional plants lol most of light mine are in a window im sure a grow light would work

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter gave me one a month or so ago because she didnt want to care for it anymore. I put it into the leopard baby habitat, down in the substrate, still in the pot. I water it when I water the substrate. It's just a baby plant, and so far so good.

orchid.jpg

phebe121

My daughter gave me one a month or so ago because she didnt want to care for it anymore. I put it into the leopard baby habitat, down in the substrate, still in the pot. I water it when I water the substrate. It's just a baby plant, and so far so good.

View attachment 111639

It needs a tad bit bigger pot and cover the roots sticking out and the roots do like to be squeezed like swaddling a baby

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They've never tried to eat it. I'm not sure they can reach it. But I've never worried about that. I figure if they take a bite, the plant will tell them if they can eat it or not.