Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Does anyone know a way to check this out without taking the strings off the tree? Or do I just have to go one bulb by one, removing it and putting a good one in its place?

I think there is a tester. Next season buy one which stays lite even if a bulb goes out. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought fig trees were ok outside. Don't they go dormant?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I thought fig trees were ok outside. Don't they go dormant?

I have one outside, which I cover with a garbage can for the winter. It dies down to the ground and comes back up each year.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( getting out of time and no computer until Monday afternoon. :( Will be missing you guys. Have fun.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The above was for the chat thread, but works for you guys too. :)

Prairie Mom

I think I've mentioned here that I've been looking up all my flowers. I'm pretty pleased that a lot of the human-edible flowers are tortoise friendly. I had some time last night and put together a thread of everything I've looked into so far. I debated whether I should put it here and settled on the "Diet" forum. The post was probably kind of too long, but I enjoyed making it---almost like a journal entry:) I hope you guys check it out and let me know if there are other flowers I should bring in for my dear Mavis:)

Prairie Mom

Seed issues...

Last year every single garden and annual flower seed germinated WITHOUT a HITCH, whether I was indoors or direct seeding outside! Not a problem! I felt like I finally got this down... I am a garden goddess-watch me grow! ....well ....not so much this year...

Poor temps? Poor seed sources?
This year, I had to change where I start my seeds inside and don't think I kept the soil warm enough. I also tried out seed from different places (including Amazon and the grocery store --uh oh), some have worked great, some are taking too long to germinate, and some have had only a few seeds germinate every time I plant a batch. --hmmm...Too many possibilities, from bad seeds to a bad way to start.

Now or NEVER
In a couple weeks, I'm going to go back to my previous tried and true methods. See if my hubby can help me out with improving my lighting and I will probably be putting in a catalogue order to Jung seeds and Gurney's. -Everything I got from these guys has germinated over the past two years. I gotta get these seeds growing NOW, so my plants are big enough to produce when I plant them after my frost date the middle of June or there will be NO POINT. My anticipated last frost date for this year is 6/8 my anticipated FIRST frost date is 9/7----but I don't believe this at all because this is what my yard looked like in early AUGUST!!!...
small snow lady.jpg

We're LUCKY if we have a 90 day growing season!
What CRAZY person thought it would be a good idea to have a large AFRICAN TORTOISE HERE!?!? and then ditch her in a snow storm!?!?!?!

AND WHAT CRAZY WOMAN IS DETERMINED TO MAKE A GO OF IT AND KEEP THIS SULCATA FOREVER!?!?!...

003 (2) captions.jpg

<Sigh>....try, try, again!!!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Alright! I had to get some coir yesterday, so I took a trip to Petites, and my tree was GONE! :(
Reaction to discovering it missing-
images

-They did have other citrus trees, but I'd never be able to grow an orange or lemon here, too cold. Plus, the big trees cost around 200$ :eek:
So, I asked if they usually carry those in the summer (because it IS a winter fruiting plant) and was helpfully told they sometimes do have a few.:D
Who knows, it was probably there 5 minutes before... should have gotten off TFO ;)

Prairie Mom

Alright! I had to get some coir yesterday, so I took a trip to Petites, and my tree was GONE! :(
Reaction to discovering it missing-
images

-They did have other citrus trees, but I'd never be able to grow an orange or lemon here, too cold. Plus, the big trees cost around 200$ :eek:
So, I asked if they usually carry those in the summer (because it IS a winter fruiting plant) and was helpfully told they sometimes do have a few.:D
Who knows, it was probably there 5 minutes before... should have gotten off TFO ;)
ha ha ha...the pictures you always come up with!!! I imagine you sitting at a super computer with multiple screens and millions of pictures attached to buttons ready to be used at a moment's notice!:D It's too bad that it wasn't there. I didn't even think about the fact that it would be WINTER FRUITING...ooooooh...aaah. I know NOTHING about citrus other than where to find the oranges at the store. Keep us posted on your kumquat exploits. Also, I do not have the experience you have with overwintering potted shrubs etc. I'd love it if you decided to post about that some time. Have a good day!:)

Prairie Mom

whoooo---eeee! This catalogue has TONS of Zinnia I have never seen before. They have at least three pages just of Zinnias which are good tortoise food...

http://www.territorialseed.com/category/s/1

Queen red lime:
red lime zinnia.jpg

(look how big these are!) Zinnia-Benarys Giant Series Mix:
large zinnia.jpg

Zinnia-Swizzle Cherry & Ivory:
white red zinnia.jpg

I've only grown the purple ones. I hope Mavis thinks they taste as good as they look. My garden just got prettier:)