Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Here is some of the Russian's cactus, They are going to be real pretty for a few days soon. View attachment 175943
Nice cactus blooms! :) I hope I get some on mine this year. The bigger cactus patch is from my dad and I think he said it's bloomed before. He's really the one with the green thumb. I think his trick is to water at both morning and night. :rolleyes:
Oh yes, definitely looks like this! :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ANIMAL SAFE WEED KILLER

Caution-it will kill flowers and grass too, so be very exact when you use it. Just thought I would share. Oh, it does work.

Natural weed killer
1-gallon white vinegar
2-cups Epsom salts
1/4-cup blue dawn dish soap

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Some of my other opuntia without long spines but have the little sneaky ones.Each is different than the others.Picture 565.jpg Picture 570.jpg Picture 574.jpg Picture 575.jpgThis last one does have long spines but I wanted to show how it is growing, I can still get in and out this door. It is close to the Russian tortoise cactus but the blooms are different Picture 585.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some of my other opuntia without long spines but have the little sneaky ones.Each is different than the others.View attachment 176039 View attachment 176040 View attachment 176041 View attachment 176042This last one does have long spines but I wanted to show how it is growing, I can still get in and out this door. It is close to the Russian tortoise cactus but the blooms are different View attachment 176038

That first one is going to be a beauty in a couple days. Be sure to post again once it blooms all over the plant.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ANIMAL SAFE WEED KILLER

Caution-it will kill flowers and grass too, so be very exact when you use it. Just thought I would share. Oh, it does work.

Natural weed killer
1-gallon white vinegar
2-cups Epsom salts
1/4-cup blue dawn dish soap

I found it did not work on my stinging nettles. :(

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Assuming I would start a cactus garden like yours how long would it take me to grow a good size plant from a single pad

Those opuntia plants are pretty fast-growing. It takes a while for the roots to take hold, but I'd say, maybe by next summer you would have a plant with at least 4 pads on it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Those opuntia plants are pretty fast-growing. It takes a while for the roots to take hold, but I'd say, maybe by next summer you would have a plant with at least 4 pads on it.
And also I think a lot has to do with the maturity of the pads you use to start the plant with. I've used the very top pads and it took them several years to get going and start "bushing out", but those "lower level" pads should start making baby pads pretty much immediately if it's the growing season

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I found it did not work on my stinging nettles. :(
A weed with that name probably only dies by fire.
I don't have any clue what kind of weeds it does and doesn't work for. Maybe if you upped the amount of salt and vinegar. I don't know, might be worth a try.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Leaving to go to the bank today i noticed something... Weird. The bank, buildings around my bank, my job, and my apartment complex all have yellow daylilies, some smaller no-buds-or-flowers-yet-just-leaves daylilies, spider plants on the side and these colorful small flowers that look like little petunias at first, spaced about 5" apart from each other in the front.
Not sure if they all have the same landscaping company or not. It was just weird.
Now i hope the daylilies i have arent yellow :(

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Nice cactus blooms! :) I hope I get some on mine this year. The bigger cactus patch is from my dad and I think he said it's bloomed before. He's really the one with the green thumb. I think his trick is to water at both morning and night. :rolleyes:

Like your dad I water the cold tolerant cactus I have more than most people would recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Okay! Now I'm dying to see your balcony! Photos PLEASE!!!:D
I didnt forget! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465436249.835884.jpg
I took the big wooden pot and a couple other pots to my moms again after this. Its mostly just tortoise edibles now. And my bf also wants chairs out on the balcony so i will have to rearrange and clean up some