Galopagos Islands... Who has been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Im thinking about going , to celebrate the big 50...
but I want to hear opinions from people about the best way to go, and time of year....
Anyone? and do you boat over or fly? how far?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
My uncle went a couple years ago but just scuba dived off the coast, never actually went on an island. Can just anybody go there? I thought the islands were off limits to tourists but then again I really don't know what I'm talking about. That'd be a dream trip, congrats!!

MichiLove

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Laura said:
Im thinking about going , to celebrate the big 50...
but I want to hear opinions from people about the best way to go, and time of year....
Anyone? and do you boat over or fly? how far?

I have been before it was a 10 day expedition i flew from New Orleans to Florida Internationl Airport then to Equador from there i got on a small plane which flew to a small airport on a tiny island that was on the outskirts of the Galopagos and got onto a small ship from there. Every member of tyhe crew with the exception of the chep,caption,bar tender, and Ponga boat drivers were all naturalist who work on the Galopagos Islands. The company that I went on the Expedition through is call Linblad Expeditions. You arrange your own flights to get there but once on the Ship all food and drink is covered in the price including alchahol. On the trip you go snorkeling there are many reef sharks it was amazing to be in the water with them and see them up soo close I even dove down following 1 of the naturalist with his under water camera to a small cave that was FILLED with sharks all laying down next to/atop one another. You get to go to the Tortoise Breeding Center (where they use to have lonesome George :tort: R.I.P). You go on hikes through the mountians, swim with sea turtles,iguanas,seels, and even the Galopagos Penguin. The seels have no fear of you (like everything else there) the naturalist actually have to force them out of your way so you can walk off the small Ponga boat onto the land. It was the single most AMAZING experience I have ever had or prob. ever will have. I recomend going In July or Aug because that is when they have ALOT of sea turtles in the shallow water where you go snorkeling. There is soo much more i could tell you about but you'll just have to see for yourslef.
Hope this was helpful and hope you get to enjoy this beatiful place as much as I did.:D

AldabraNerd

5 Year Member
Hi Laura,
I assume one of the reasons for going is to see the gorgeous giants there? (even though they are not as amazing as Aldabra's giants, obviously :D). If so, check out the project website by some of my colleagues lucky enough to work there: http://www.gianttortoise.org/ -could give you some ideas on where to go. Alas, I haven't been yet. Definitely on the MUST-SEE/GO-TO list!
Good luck & looking forward to photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.