Gaia and Eros update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Well, it's been 24 weeks now and I'm getting mixed results in my husbandry.

Gaia is not doing well, while Eros is growing leaps and bounds. Gaia has lost 10 gm in the last 2 weeks. She is 1yr old, she weighs 47.1gm and is 5.8cm long.
DSCN1751.jpg
DSCN1750.jpg
DSCN1749.jpg
DSCN1748.jpg

Now Eros, on the other hand, has packed on 20 gms in the last 6 weeks and is adapting well to his Batchlor Pad! He is currently 6.6 months old weighs 72.6gm and is 6.5cm.
DSCN1755.jpg
DSCN1754.jpg
DSCN1753.jpg
DSCN1752.jpg

I'm not sure whats going on with Gaia, but starting tomorrow I'll start her on babyfood soaks in the mornings. Her eyes are clear, she has no discharge from her nose, she's very active and untill a couple of weeks ago her growth was VERY, VERY slow and now has reverced. She shows little or no intertest in fresh vegies or cactuse and will eat about 1/2 a piece of soft mazurri after her morning soak.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Eros looks great!! He is so smooth and glad that he is gaining weight. :D Im sorry to hear about Gaia.....hopefully one of the other experienced ones will give you some advice. I hope her shell is not getting soft. I would see if you can find out where she hatched at from the previous owner and try to contact them.....it may even be in an old post from when she first received Gaia.
Hope she will start to feel better soon...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
jesst said:
Eros looks great!! He is so smooth and glad that he is gaining weight. :D Im sorry to hear about Gaia.....hopefully one of the other experienced ones will give you some advice. I hope her shell is not getting soft. I would see if you can find out where she hatched at from the previous owner and try to contact them.....it may even be in an old post from when she first received Gaia.
Hope she will start to feel better soon...

Thanks!:D Eros started kinda slow but now his weight gain is steady and so is his shell growth.

:( So far so good on the "Soft Shell" subject. If it wasn't for the sudden and dramatic weight loss I'd say she was fine!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Zamric I would certainly get a very fresh stool sample and take it to the vet for a parasite check. She may very well have parasites. If not, then I would have the vet take a look at her. There must be something wrong for such little weight gain. Hopefully, it will just be a matter of a little medication for worms.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DesertGrandma said:
Zamric I would certainly get a very fresh stool sample and take it to the vet for a parasite check. She may very well have parasites. If not, then I would have the vet take a look at her. There must be something wrong for such little weight gain. Hopefully, it will just be a matter of a little medication for worms.

Good post Joy, I was going to ask what the tortoises poop looked like, but if there is that much weight loss in a baby tortoise I think a vet visit would be first on my list.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Took Gaia to the Vet today and the Vet said she looks great! Very small for her age but her eys are clear her shell is sound she is active and eating well. I will find out the result of the feces test tomorrow to find out about worms and parasites.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Well, got the results for the Fecal Test. Gaia is clean and free of worms and parasites! YAY! :D

...now, Why is she so small and why did she lose weight? :(

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Torts grow at different rates, so if she is showing signs of being healthy then I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like she is just in a slow growth stage. Mine did that for a while and then one day just started shooting up in weight. Try some different foods, spring mix lettuce, flowers, cut up cactus pad and see if you can find something she really likes. Just keep feeding and as long as she eats, drinks and poops then she will grow eventually.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Melly-n-shorty said:
Wow that is a great one! Has she started to gain back her weight?

As of today, Gaia has gained back those 10 lost Grams and added another 4 gram on top of that!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Yay! Glad the numbers are moving in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.