Furry mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379855991.258140.jpg
Not sure what I am doing wrong here. I have Benny's enclosure temporarily fixed while a more permanent solution is constructed.
I purchased all new coca coir and organic topsoil, bought grasses and grew him dandelions from seed, planted these in the topsoil of his enclosure. We even have worms and pill bugs in here to help with decomposing organic wastes. Now I have freaking mold!!!
Help. I'm so frustrated and dealing with this and feeling like I'm failing Benny is crushing me.

Last edited by a moderator:

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Don't feel like you are failing, I'm sure you are doing a great job! I think it's just trial and error with many things, this happened to me too. I think what happened with mine was the coir was too wet for the cool end and couldn't dry out down there or be hot and humid.
I'm sure someone will be along to help soon though :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Coconut coir itself does not mold. The problem is usually food or poop not cleaned out. In this case it is most likely the hay looking stuff that is probably the problem along with the soil and the things you are growing. If it were me, I would use only coir and use the soil in low sided containers and grow the stuff in that. This way, you can keep the coir really moist for humidity and the soil and plants not as wet. Even roots of most plants will mold if they are kept too wet.
Your not failing at all. Most of us had to keep tweaking until it was figured out and working the way we wanted. To help save some of what you got, try this. Take out all the coir and soil mixed. Let it dry out, place in short sided containers and grow your stuff. Replace the substrate you removed with coir or cypress mulch or both mixed. Neither will mold.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
That mold is the state plant in Oregon. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Thanks Wellington! Going to go get some growing trays today and pull all the substrate out to dry.

SenjiSandy said:
That mold is the state plant in Oregon. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

I don't know if your serious, but ewwww lol

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Semi serious. LOL
Oregon is wet. Mold grows on everything and its tough to eliminate. So I'm never surprised when I see it. Sorta like dust in New Mexico or Arizona...just a way of life.

[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Dunno yet but in sure gonna find out soon!!!! Getting a baby next year.
Just have three adopted or rescued adults. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.