Fun Facts

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It is kind of cool. I would love to get my hands on one of these trees.
I have purchased it twice and can't get it to grow here. We used to have a member whose username was Jabuticaba and I Googled it to see why they chose that name. Love, love, love the fruit on the trunk concept. I'm going to keep trying to grow it until I figure it out.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I have purchased it twice and can't get it to grow here. We used to have a member whose username was Jabuticaba and I Googled it to see why they chose that name. Love, love, love the fruit on the trunk concept. I'm going to keep trying to grow it until I figure it out.
I have never tasted the fruit, but the write up on it says that it is very good for you. I am so jealous that you have it there. Surprised that you cannot grow it, as it says that it can grow in just about any soil. Maybe it is too hot though?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have never tasted the fruit, but the write up on it says that it is very good for you. I am so jealous that you have it there. Surprised that you cannot grow it, as it says that it can grow in just about any soil. Maybe it is too hot though?
No, I should have been more clear. I can't buy it here, I bought it online. Seeds are pretty cheap online. Amazon had a 6" potted plant last year for about $7 but they don't have it anymore. Most of the other plants online now are over $50. I'm going to try the seeds again.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
No, I should have been more clear. I can't buy it here, I bought it online. Seeds are pretty cheap online. Amazon had a 6" potted plant last year for about $7 but they don't have it anymore. Most of the other plants online now are over $50. I'm going to try the seeds again.
This is what another site said to do to grow it.

In the Garden

• It’s a plant of evergreen abundance, indigenous to Brazil. It might only bear fruit in its seventh year but it’s so worth the wait. Often in its fifth year Myrciaria cauliflora starts producing fruit – black berries, soft and sweet, encased in a thick, grape-like skin. The tree can reach about 12 metres in height, and the berries that appear from early summer grow directly on the trunk and branches.
  • It can be grown from seed or cuttings of the stems that bear the berries. Plant in a deep, compost-filled hole in full sun and water very well once a week. You’ll have to keep an eye on the birds or use some netting for protection (or get in their first), but that’s all you’ll have to do to be rewarded with buckets of berriies to harvest three times in summer every year.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I wonder if I can get the seeds from amazon as well. While trying to find a MULBERRY tree (spelt it correctly this time) I have found out that the nurseries don't sell them anymore because the birds spread the seeds and then they take over. I wonder if I can find somebody with a tree and see if I can't grow a mulberry tree from a cutting. I need more variety for my torts. And mulberry pie is nice too.:rolleyes:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I wonder if I can get the seeds from amazon as well. While trying to find a MULBERRY tree (spelt it correctly this time) I have found out that the nurseries don't sell them anymore because the birds spread the seeds and then they take over. I wonder if I can find somebody with a tree and see if I can't grow a mulberry tree from a cutting. I need more variety for my torts. And mulberry pie is nice too.:rolleyes:
I bought 2 dwarf mulberry trees about a month ago. They arrived in great condition and are doing well. Here's where I ordered from.
Dwarf Everbearing Mulberry: Morus... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5015NA/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I grew up in South Florida and I've seen one of these before growing there before, very cool looking tree.