fruit or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
O.K.... so I got this absolutly wonderful little russian about 2 months ago. Hes doing fantastic. But i am confused. right now his diet consists of greens only. I mix it up like i am supposed to. He likes that. But In one place i am told this species cannot have fruit, yet other places say its o.k.
So, can I give him fruit or not? also I have read it is not nessasary to let him hybernate. We live in Alaska in an apartment and i didnt plan on letting him do so this year. so..I was looking for suggestion. Thank you.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
In the wild, Russian tortoises feed almost exclusively on leafy greens (which may include the leaves, stems, and flowers). Only a small fraction of their diet consists of grass, snails, and fruit. In captivity, that should be duplicated faithfully. It's all right to give them some fruit once a month, but no more often than that, because too much sugar can cause indigestion and diarrhea.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Thats what i thought. Thank you. I havent given him any cause i want sure. what about cactus pads? would an occasiona treat be safe?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Prickly pear (Optunia) cactus pads are good for most tortoises, especially New World tortoises (Chelonoidis and Gopherus species), including redfoots. Some people like to offer their tortoises spineless cacti (either bred to be spineless, or else de-spined), others just let them feed on normal spiny cacti, which tortoises will occasionally do in the wild. Cacti have high levels of oxalate, so they shouldn't be the only thing they eat. But as part of a varied diet, they're fine. The red fruit of prickly pear cacti are good for both redfoots and people. They are spineless, and taste kind of like watermelon. :)

Russians can be offered cactus pads (same options as above), even though cacti are not native to the Old World. Personally, I never give my Russians cacti. Russians can eat some spiny plants, like thistles, but they don't seem to prefer them. So, at some point I might offer my Russians spineless prickly pear cacti, but I don't think I would ever let them eat spiny cacti, lest they injure their mouth or eyes. As for the fruit, same thing: only as a rare (monthly) treat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I vote no on the fruit, and yes on some spineless opuntia once iin a while.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Supposedly wild Russians eat no fruit. That may true, although I wonder if they occasionally do eat some. That's why I only give my guys fruit once a month. At that frequency, I see no ill effects: no diarrhea, no lethargy, etc. It may even be beneficial, since fruits may provide some nutrients they are missing in their captive diet. But I certainly don't make it a frequent thing.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Also keep in mind that "fruit" means different things to different folks. Some veggies are actually fruit, such as a bell pepper. Giving a "fruit" like a pepper, is not in my mind as bad as giving other types of fruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.