Fruit fly infestation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Is that worrisome? I turn the sub about once a month, and no fecal matter is left on the soil, feeding a little apple is about once a month as a treat and any remaining is removed. Organic spring mix is his staple with light supplement of calcium with D3.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
How bad is the infestation? I've seen one or two in my enclosure occasionally, but they don't seem to bother the torts so I haven't done anything about them.

-Devon

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
They won't harm the turtles, so beyond being a nuisance, nothing to worry about. Are they wingless type, or do they fly, if so you can put some of hose pest strips above the enclosure that should catch most

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are not fruit flies. They are phorid flies. They are a detrivore (like a cockroach:)) and they won't harm your tortoises in the least. They are attracted to food, heat and moisture. We roach keepers get them in all of our colonies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Is there anything that can live with your tortoise to help keep the population of them done? They really are annoying and they multiply quickly.

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Jessicap said:
Is there anything that can live with your tortoise to help keep the population of them done? They really are annoying and they multiply quickly.

Not really, my son doesn't fit in there very well.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
We have them a great deal here in Spain, we use vinegar in a bottle as they like that,also a decaying apple in a tub where they can get in but not out.

John

5 Year Member
I use simple inexpensive fly paper hung from my lighting supports,I use two strips and change em every couple weeks it works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.