From April To August Pond Area Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
When I posted a thread back in April, some people said they liked it better wild looking, well it's wild again. Took the second pic this morning. They are taken from the same end but from a different angle.You can see the hoe sitting on the roof of Walkers house and the ginkgo tree in both pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Does it freeze in the winter where you are?

When I bought and planted my banana tree 4 years ago it was in a (I'm guessing) 10" pot and the plant from ground level was about 3' tall. It freezes to the ground every winter. And here it is the beginning of August, which means only about two months more of growing time, and after having froze to the ground this past winter, its still only about 8" tall from ground level. It just can't grow fast enough to get big. :(

My elephant ears, on the other hand, planted in the same area as the banana tree, are huge after having frozen. Some of the leaves are 2' from stem to tip, and the plants are taller than me (5'6").

Len B

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:

When I bought and planted my banana tree 4 years ago it was in a (I'm guessing) 10" pot and the plant from ground level was about 3' tall. It freezes to the ground every winter. And here it is the beginning of August, which means only about two months more of growing time, and after having froze to the ground this past winter, its still only about 8" tall from ground level. It just can't grow fast enough to get big. :(

My elephant ears, on the other hand, planted in the same area as the banana tree, are huge after having frozen. Some of the leaves are 2' from stem to tip, and the plants are taller than me (5'6").
Yes Yvonne, We have real winter weather here,single digit temps and some times a lot of snow. I don't know why yours don't grow.I am adding a pic taken 3 weeks ago of the tree patch where I got the ones to put in the enclosure,you can see how big they get when not moved,the brick planter to the right is 3 ft tall.I need to thin them out this fall.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
??Len?? said:
emysemys said:

Yes Yvonne, We have real winter weather here,single digit temps and some times a lot of snow. I don't know why yours don't grow.I am adding a pic taken 3 weeks ago of the tree patch where I got the ones to put in the enclosure,you can see how big they get when not moved,the brick planter to the right is 3 ft tall.I need to thin them out this fall.

Len I see you live in VA, as do I. And can agree we do have some good winters. I have pic of blizzard of 09/and 10. Don't let that confuse you those two blizzard were only like a month apart. Not sure if you got any of that, since I live up northern part but still in the same state.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Lilithlee said:
??Len?? said:
emysemys said:

Len I see you live in VA, as do I. And can agree we do have some good winters. I have pic of blizzard of 09/and 10. Don't let that confuse you those two blizzard were only like a month apart. Not sure if you got any of that, since I live up northern part but still in the same state.

I remember that winter well. They had the snow piled so high at the intersections around here you couldn't see if anyone was coming.I"m just across the Potomac River near where the 301 Bridge crosses.In fact if I walk down the hill and get my feet wet in the river I'm in Maryland.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
??Len?? said:
Lilithlee said:
??Len?? said:
emysemys said:

I remember that winter well. They had the snow piled so high at the intersections around here you couldn't see if anyone was coming.I"m just across the Potomac River near where the 301 Bridge crosses.In fact if I walk down the hill and get my feet wet in the river I'm in Maryland.

I don't think anyone who lived that winter, will forget it. I know what you're talking about. I'm closer to DC than Maryland.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Looks great! Do you ice shate on it in the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.