Fresh Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Just curious has anyone come up with a way to keep greens fresh longer in the fridge? I have 2 torts. My Greek Persephone. She is a hatchling. As well as a Russian Morpheus, age unknown. I buy the spring or herb mix, usually organic and its gets slimy in a few days. Looking for ways to keep it longer. Any suggestions will be appreciated:)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Typically like to buy them in the plastic thin containers they stay fresher then in the packages, they also sell green bags at local stores.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use those green bags, they can stay fresh for weeks with those.

Rain

5 Year Member
Michigan
Should I be feeding my torts the red tortoise sticks along with mazuri?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Rain said:
Just curious has anyone come up with a way to keep greens fresh longer in the fridge? I have 2 torts. My Greek Persephone. She is a hatchling. As well as a Russian Morpheus, age unknown. I buy the spring or herb mix, usually organic and its gets slimy in a few days. Looking for ways to keep it longer. Any suggestions will be appreciated:)

I have tried several ways. My latest that I do keeps the greens lasting about a week, 5-7 days, except dandelion greens, they start getting slimy after about 3-4 days. Here it is. Use a glass bowl, not plastic. Put greens in, do not wash first. Put damp towel over greens, making sure all greens are covered. Place in frig. I don't put it in the crisper, because my bowl won't fit. They may last longer if you do put them in the crisper. That's it. Make sure the towel stays damp.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Rain said:
Should I be feeding my torts the red tortoise sticks along with mazuri?

There is no real reason to combine two different 'chows'.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I buy that organic spring mix that comes in the plastic box at the grocery store. When I shop for it, I make sure to get the package that has the longest "good until" date. It lasts at least a week in the fridge. When I go to feed, sometimes I have to pick out some icky bits, but the majority remains crisp and edible. I only wash what I am going to feed at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.