Freezing grass?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
My sulcata isn’t found if hay. Would it be possible to freeze grass to feed over the winter? Would it be suitable to feed after being frozen?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. My experience with freezing grass is that when you dethaw it to freeze, it turns very mushy and slimy. You could try just drying cut grass now on nice sunny days and store it in as many garden/paper bags of it as you can (not plastic bags). Kind of like mini hay baling of your own. Just make sure you have very dry grass, and loosely pack and store in cool, airey place. If not, it will get mildewy and not be good to use.

Good luck, it’s quite the process.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
We have a tnread here about freezing greens. Most people found out it turned to mush but still useable. Drying out is another option. But it your sulcata doesn't like hay it might not like dry grass. Try blending hay in a blender till it is fine then add a liitle bit. Over time slowly increase the amount
Your pocket book will thank you

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
My sulcata isn’t found if hay. Would it be possible to freeze grass to feed over the winter? Would it be suitable to feed after being frozen?
I bought a mesh hanging rack similar to this one on Amazon. Every time we cut the grass, I scoop up a bunch and layer it in here and let it dry. I stir it up every few hours to help it dry evenly. Then, I put it into bags for the winter. It literally dries in 1-2 days or less, depending on your humidity. My torties didn't love the dried grass at first, but then I started misting it with water right before I gave it to them, and they went after it like crazy.....I think I am gping to dry some weeds and flowers this way as well....Might be worth a try. It's basically free except for the cost of the mesh rack....and you might luck out and find one of those at Goodwill or a similar thrift shop.....Best of luck to you.

Attachments

• Screenshot (44).png
    Screenshot (44).png
    213 KB · Views: 8