Free Time Projects 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This time I got smart and borrowed the electric jack hammer shovel from a friend. :)
My wife likes to buy those small potted living Christmas trees around the Hollidays. When the Hollidays are over we plant them in big pots. They do well here, but then they get too big for the pots.

I looked up what they are: Italian Stone Pines. It says these are where we get pine nuts from. My wife loves pine nuts, so this will be great in a few more years. Apparently these trees grow a great big umbrella canopy when they mature. I planted them just outside the tortoise enclosures where they should throw some great mid day and afternoon shade once they grow up.
IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

Here is a picture I pulled form the internet of what they might looks like as mature trees:
sb10064965ao-001-56b7eac45f9b5829f83cc3eb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Interesting. Many years ago my Texas grand daughter came to spend Christmas with me. I haven't decorated or bought a Christmas tree in many years, but she brought decorations with her, so we had to go to the store and buy a table top tree like what you've shown above. I planted it a several years ago in the leopard tortoise yard. Here's what it looks like today:

Christmas tree.jpg

Interestingly, it was a 'blue' tree when it was a baby, but as it grew it turned green. I hope it turns out to be like the ones you've pictured. I love that look.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I think it would take a week of working 10 hours a day to extract 5 pounds of pine nuts by hand. Don't hold your breath.
My sister and her husband are now retired and live North of Lake Tahoe. They love to spend weeks at at time in the deserts all over Nevada collecting pine nuts. They sell several hundred pounds a year. It is a lot of work!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the same type of tree (I think...) that I planted a few years back. Same situation.
IMG_0477.jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
We get the seasonal potted conifers in stores in Florida heading into the winter holidays, but realistically, they'd much rather head north with Frosty the Snowman. We can grow roses year 'round, but it seems like the pretty conifers are the ones we can't grow in Florida.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We get the seasonal potted conifers in stores in Florida heading into the winter holidays, but realistically, they'd much rather head north with Frosty the Snowman. We can grow roses year 'round, but it seems like the pretty conifers are the ones we can't grow in Florida.
This species comes from Mediterranean type climates, so I'll bet it would be fine in FL, unlike other types of pine trees. These won't tolerate snow or temps much below freezing, and they like warm weather.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lol too funny. I'd rather have your tropicals and you can have all the northern ugly pines or conifers
We always want what we can't have lol.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Mountains? Those are some little dirt hills on my neighbors property. You flatlander you... :p
Hahaha I'm from Oklahoma, those look like mountains to me too ?

But seriously, I took a trip to Santa Cruz and California has some really beautiful mountain/ocean scenes! Not to mention the little bit of the redwood forest i got to see ? the only thing I wasn't a fan of was the smell of seals ? I guess I'm too used to cows instead lol

Also couldnt get in the ocean as there were a few large great whites spotted were I was ? im good on that. I'll respect their space lol. They can have it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pine trees are doing well. Seeing new growth and they are standing up to our extreme summer heat with no apparent issues. I'll get current pictures to post next time.