Four so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Found while counting noses on Jan. 26.. in corner with scarcely 2-3" of leaves/litter covering.. they don't dig a nest -

a09KeJan26.jpg

Also kept on shelf above 'table'.. as shown.. in plastic pail. I'll put a mercury therm. inside to get an idea of temps too. [ leaves removed for pic ] Misted lightly every other day or so.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats cool..

Do you ever worry about stepping on there eggs since they don't dig nests?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
dmarcus said:
Thats cool..

Do you ever worry about stepping on there eggs since they don't dig nests?

IF they were outside I always sort thru the leaves for them.. they "back-fill" the eggs with the loose leaves.

Not sure what the temps are where you are.. but everything is inside now in "above and below" tables - basic idea of set-up.. ( 2 males ) -

20409M.jpg

Two - three times a week they are misted with hot water.. they usually get quite active then - female crawling out from under leaves -

20411Fmist.jpg

The entire enclosure has 6 - 8" of leaves they live in.. 3" or so of 'litter' as substrate covered with loose leaves. As time goes on more leaves are added - leaf-mulch is created.

There are two different groups ( in bottom table ) - male -

20411Mmist.jpg

They must be happy...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
tortuga_please said:
How often do they lay?

Not real sure... there are more than one pair in each table and this is only the second year they have created eggs for me. I find eggs usually from now thru May or so.. when they are outside also.

These are African tortoises that for whatever reason have not been kept and bred very often at all! Very little is known about them! You could most likely count on one hand the number of breeders "on the planet" that have successfully hatched them in the past. A number of claims but few pics of real evidence of hatchlings!!!

There are a couple organizations now that are striving to keep this unusual species from becoming history. A few of us here are keeping them.

Might want to follow the link in my siggy...

Status
Not open for further replies.