Found Tortoise

Ashley Marshall

Location (City and/or State)
South Central Texas
IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0524.JPG Hi new here. My manager found a Tortoise on the side of the highway (there was no green space around) and picked him up and took him home. She couldn't take care of him so I offered to take care of it. I have been housing it (I think it might be a him) for about a week now.

It looked like someone had tagged him with Sharpie but with great care I was able to remove the marker from his shell.

He eats healthy amounts of fresh grass. Loves to wonder the lawn and "go on adventures," as I call it. Does not look stressed. I have carefully rinsed him off and cleaned all the mud and marker off of him. I do not see any signs of shell rot or any other diseases. Over all he looks very healthy and happy.

I was doing my research on what kind of species he is and I think he might be a Texas Tortoise. From what I've read, that's a protected species and are not supposed to be removed from their habitat and that they have a small habitat to begin with.

I don't know exactly where she picked him up from so I can't bring him back, but I don't know what to do. Am I supposed to call TPWS and have them come pick him up or??

We looked around and it doesn't look like he was anybody's pet.

I am including pictures of him, hopefully y'all will be able to help me identify him and figure out if I need to call TPWS about this.

Thanks so much for any help with this!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes that is a Texas tortoise. Gopherus berlandieri. It is protected in Texas and illegal to remove from the wild.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is just so totally adorable, I understand you wanting to keep him! So would I.
It's too bad that sometimes "protected" species are not protected enough. They just have to take their chances in "the wild".
So I guess you say goodbye and good luck to that little sweetheart and call TPWS for him.
Thanks for caring!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Ashley Marshall

If you would take the time, it would be good for you to report the finding of that tortoise to a site that is tracking any berladieri that is found in Texas for a better understanding of it's current range and population. Please tank a moment to go to this website and click on "Add Observations".

http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/texas-tortoise-survey

Thanks.

Ashley Marshall

South Central Texas
@Ashley Marshall

If you would take the time, it would be good for you to report the finding of that tortoise to a site that is tracking any berladieri that is found in Texas for a better understanding of it's current range and population. Please tank a moment to go to this website and click on "Add Observations".

http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/texas-tortoise-survey

Thanks.
Thanks for providing the website. I went ahead and reported Lil B (the tortoise) there.

Ashley Marshall

South Central Texas
He is just so totally adorable, I understand you wanting to keep him! So would I.
It's too bad that sometimes "protected" species are not protected enough. They just have to take their chances in "the wild".
So I guess you say goodbye and good luck to that little sweetheart and call TPWS for him.
Thanks for caring!
That's what I am going to do. As sad as it makes me, I have to do what it best for Lil B.

Ashley Marshall

South Central Texas
Everyone I am proud to say, Lil B has safely been released. It was a heartbreaking moment to watch him leave but I know it was for the best. Protecting a protected species is the best thing I have ever done but I still miss him so much already. Thank you for all the help y'all have given me.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
"Born Free!
As free as the wind blows....."
I want to cry too. SO sentimental about stuff like this!