Found juvenile female in the middle of the Road!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanaBat

5 Year Member
First, hello everyone! My name is Lana and I am new here. I found this forum because yesterday my boyfriend, Matt, and I were driving up a main, fairly busy road when we spotted a minivan stopped in the oncoming lane. In front of it was a pretty large tortoise! We are located in Northwest Indiana, and even being from Texas it's not a sight I'm acquainted with seeing! My instincts kicked in and I told Matt to pull over, I hopped out, ran across the road and snatched it up. I'm glad we came along when we did, because it was only a couple hours from dark, and with a road that poorly lit I wouldn't doubt she'd have been hit!

We took her home with us later and looked up to see what she was. She was very active yesterday. I weighed and sexed her this morning-- she's about 14 to 15 pounds. We are assuming someone just dumped her after she got too big. After reading about nutrition, I'm going to guess she wasn't fed properly (too much, maybe?) because her shell is very knobby. We kept her in an large dog exercise pen in the basement, with an old bed sheet until we can get something else proper, so our four cats wouldn't bother her. I flipped on the dehumidifier as well.

My question is-- where do we go from here? Haha. We considered calling animal control, but... our animal control isn't all that fabulous (I volunteer at the shelter, and was recently hired into the clinic it works with, and reptiles definitely are not their forte).

We thought about keeping her, but after a little research our priority is to find her a home with someone who can adequately provide for her. We definitely cannot at this present time. I'm hoping you guys can offer us some suggestions on where to look! We have a couple of vets that I noticed were listed on these forums around us, but right now we're tight on money until I start my new job next week with the animal clinic.

In the meantime, I'm also wanting to know how to best make her comfortable... So here's a couple of questions, and I'm also open to other suggestions!

It's pretty humid in our basement, even with the dehumidifier (it's ancient, so it's probably not doing the best job), and the floor is pretty cold. I do have a large heating light that I used to brood chicks, but I read that they shouldn't be too hot, either. We could put her outside, but I'm concerned for her safety; all we have is the exercise pen, and she could easily dig out of it. We're surrounded by a marsh with no backyard fence, so I'm worried she might get out and topple down the hill and into the water. If we bring her upstairs, I'm not TOO concerned about the cats hurting her-- but I also don't know what her health state is. Is the basement the best bet for her right now?

If I go to the feed store, what sort of food should I pick up for her? I was reading that her staple should be hay, dried grass, or something of that manner.

I'll post some pictures of her soon.

Thanks so much for any of your suggestions!

Lana

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Wow Lana what a find. If the basement is the only option then if you could put something on the floor so that its not to cold. If you can get a bag of cypress mulch that would help. I would go pick some grass and weeds for her(make sure it has not been chemical sprayed) She needs water so if you have a shallow plant bottom that would work. Is her skin dry looking? If you can soak her in warm water for 30 min. in shallow water, that will help hydrate her. Dont worry about the humidity, we are finding that it is good for them. She does need a heat source so if you can get the temps to about 80* that would be great. She needs sunlight and fresh air so if you can take her outside for at least an hour or more a day that would help. You can give her some organic greens from the store too. I am from Indiana, where did you find her? I live in Illinois now, not to far away so if you cant find someone suitable to take her I will. If you can post a pic that would help us to see her condition. Good luck.

My suggestions are for short term only, she will need more care for long term.

brendanjames

10 Year Member!
I run a rescue in North Texas for these guys. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks
Brendan
Scales with Tales Rescue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lana:

I'm so glad you were able to stop and help this tortoise! Good for you.

Do you have a fenced back yard? Its really best for the tortoise to be outside and eat grass and weeds. If you really have to keep her in the basement, then the dehumidifier is a good idea. You can feed her dark, leafy greens from the produce section of the store. Also the packaged greens like Spring Mix.

Then you need to place an ad in the paper "found tortoise." But don't give out too much information. Let the folks who call you tell you what they've lost and how it looks. Don't say its a sulcata. Let them tell you that. Its one way to weed out those folks who are just looking to get a free tortoise.

You can also make up some fliers and tack them onto the utility poles on the street where you found the tortoise. Make sure they're big enough that folks driving by can see them.

Here's a link to a rescue in your state:

http://www.indianaturtlecare.com/

http://www.angelfire.com/super/unwantedpets/copy_of_index.html

http://startortoises.net/turtle-rescue.html

I don't know them and am not vouching for them, just offering you the links.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
emysemys said:
Hi Lana:

I'm so glad you were able to stop and help this tortoise! Good for you.

Do you have a fenced back yard? Its really best for the tortoise to be outside and eat grass and weeds. If you really have to keep her in the basement, then the dehumidifier is a good idea. You can feed her dark, leafy greens from the produce section of the store. Also the packaged greens like Spring Mix.

Then you need to place an ad in the paper "found tortoise." But don't give out too much information. Let the folks who call you tell you what they've lost and how it looks. Don't say its a sulcata. Let them tell you that. Its one way to weed out those folks who are just looking to get a free tortoise.

You can also make up some fliers and tack them onto the utility poles on the street where you found the tortoise. Make sure they're big enough that folks driving by can see them.

Here's a link to a rescue in your state:

http://www.indianaturtlecare.com/

http://www.angelfire.com/super/unwantedpets/copy_of_index.html

http://startortoises.net/turtle-rescue.html

I don't know them and am not vouching for them, just offering you the links.

Good advise on finding out if she has an owner out there.

LanaBat

5 Year Member
Thanks so much everyone for your replies! We all appreciate it!

@Missy: I let her soak a little last night but wasn't too sure how long to let her stay in there. We put her in the tub with some baby-warm water while we set up the pen in the basement. All we had to offer was an old bed sheet. We live in Hobart. We found her off County Line Road in Portage when we were on our way to my BF's parents' house. If you're interested in her, I'd definitely be willing to take a road trip to give her a good home! That is our number one priority. We were going to call Michigan City Zoo, because apparently they take them and do have a large enclosure, but I would love for her to go someplace where she can get more individual care. We definitely have tons of grass and weeds because of the wildpatch around us, so I'll do that today!

@emysemys: We do not have a fenced in back yard. We live next to a small marsh and creek, and have both a backyard and a sideyard (with one neighbor to one side of us.) All we have is the flimsy exercise pen to keep her in, and I'm scared if she gets out of it in the backyard she'll tumble down the incline and into the creek or marsh. ): It's been rainy today, but if it clears up a little we'll take her out and sit with her so she can get some fresh air. She's soaking in the tub again right now.

We'll definitely put some fliers out and see what comes of it. We weren't sure how to do that, what with the fear of too many people calling just trying to get a free tort... Plus the area we found her in was pretty remote. Not TOO far down the road are some homes, so it's worth a shot!

@brendanjames: Thanks! What part of North Texas? I just moved up here from my homecity of Fort Worth last year. I visit sometimes, but have no plans to drive down that way anytime soon, unfortunately.

And now for some pictures!

Next to a tape measure:
t819nr.jpg

Hiding:
m9m99g.jpg

Better picture of shell:
vh3sl2.jpg

Close up of shell:
2vbkigh.jpg

Underside:
246m1bo.jpg

Peeking:
9um2hw.jpg

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Lana, I would be willing to take her if know one claims her. Although if you do find her owners they need schooled because she has pyramiding. Not sure if its to the point of MBD. Poor baby, she is so lucky you found her. I live in Petersburg Il. near Springfield about 4 hrs away. If you want to try and find the owners I would do as Yvonne suggested about running an add in the paper but only say Tortoise found and where let the callers tell you what kind of tort she is and the size that way you know its the real owner. I will send you a privet message with my phone number.

LanaBat

5 Year Member
Just a little update for everyone!

We've put up some ads, and will be putting up fliers today where she was found. We made sure it was pretty obscure, and have a questionnaire for whoever tries to claim her. However, I really feel that she was dumped, due to the area we found her in...

We've decided that if no one claims her by Friday, we're definitely going to hook up and rehome her with Missy! Thank you so much, Missy! You rock. All your info has been fabulous, and it's definitely going to make her more comfortable while she stays with us!

My dream of getting into wildlife rehab and animal rescue has definitely got a boost of confidence and motivation from this little girl. :] Definitely will help me get through the drag of some of these less than desirable classes next semester... haha.

Thank you guys so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.