Found Ill slider/ blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, MO
Hello everyone, I was bike riding and found a red ear slider on the side of the park road,the res didnt seem to be active like a normal healthy res. I left it alone and when I came back threw it only moved a couple of steps and weak... So i took him home with me, he is in warm water about a 1" deep. He is blind I believe he doesnt even have eyes anymore. I think maybe something like ants ate them away. Anyways I was wondering what I should do next he doesnt move much, I tried to feed him but since he is blind how would i do this? How did he survive in the wild like this? He is a full grown res also. Ide love some help on what to do next im stuck. Thanks so much guys :)

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I have no experience with blind turtles myself, but I have heard that people chop up the food and put in a pile so its easier for them to get a mouthful while blindly biting at a pile.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
turtle have to be in the water to eat.. so not sure how that will work.. can you post pictures?
He might be so bad off, that he cant be saved...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The only way I could think of is to feed him in a small tub, be enough for him to move some, but not to big or deep. Then drop in a lot of food at once. Same as the pig pile feeding for a blind tort, but in the water. This way he wouldn't have a lot of room to have to find it. It will waist a lot of food, but if he can be saved, it would be worth it.

Phobi

5 Year Member
Columbia, MO
Thanks guys, well there is a chance he may not live because he is a wild turtle and may not like being confined... hmm if he hears you he opens his mouth and tries to protect himself but lately he just opens it alittle now. I will put some food in there. Should I just keep waiting and do the same thing? He has half land and half water of 1" deep with a heating lamp. I cant send pic sorry guys, just moved and have everything boxed up still. ATm he just sits in the same place with his head out just a little and all his legs out. Do you think maybe he is getting ready to die?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say. However, he will need some adjustment time. I would let him be and only both him to do a check, clean water and give food. Give him some time to adjust to an area he doesn't know and can't even see. If he does die, at least you tried, and that's a good thing.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
He is probably scared, and trying to put up a tough guy show to keep you away as a potential predator. Maybe he really is bad off and getting ready to die but I would treat him like hes just scared and go from there, hopefully he will come around to you and get to know you as safe sounds not something to be afraid of. Plus I would think its hard to get to know your surroundings being blind...

I haven't had a water turtle in years though so I could be wrong.

Phobi

5 Year Member
Columbia, MO
Actually just about 3 mins ago he had a very active burst of energy, so I think he is getting better. I will keep you guys informed on his progress. Ide love for him to make also! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might try placing some food directly in front of his face. My sister used to put some defrosted frozen mixed vegetables on the landing dock of her water turtle habitat. The turtles (of course they were sighted) would reach up and grab a mouthful and take it into the water. You could try something like that . Put the turtle on the dock with food right in front of him...maybe a smelly, wiggly worm.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How is he doing today?
I hope he made it thru the night!!
You did a great thing!!!!!!!
Good luck to both of you! :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Phobi said:
Actually just about 3 mins ago he had a very active burst of energy, so I think he is getting better. I will keep you guys informed on his progress. Ide love for him to make also! :)

how's he doing? :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.