Found a Sulcata

Outatime

Hi All

Need some advice please, I have had my Sully George for several months now and he is doing great, I believe he is 7 years old and is a big boy. Anyway today on our way home my wife notices a tortoise walking up the road, we pull over to take a look and its another Sulcata maybe about 2 years old, no signs of damage or pyramiding so its either lived in the wild or come from a good home. We are going to ask around our community to see if anyone is missing one and put a sign up but I don't want just anyone claiming it thinking they can put it in a tank with water (you know the types). In the meantime I have put him in the yard with our old Sully who had a sniff but isn't taking much notice of him, is the little one safe with George right now till we find a home for the new one? Feel bad its someones pet but part of me is thinking its been out for a while and just made it to us, lucky I got it before it reached the highway. BTW FYI I am Central Florida.

Thanks

Stuart

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its not a good idea to put a new tortoise in with yours . He could be sick or have parasites to pass to your tortoise . Make him a holding enclosure . Good luck finding his owners. Can you post a picture? You may have found a gopher tortoise .

Outatime

Thanks for the message, this was a photo I took with George, will move him now away from my one, thanks for the heads up.

Attachments

• sully.jpg
    sully.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 76

Outatime

Hi, Central Florida, we do have a large field next to us and lots of swamp land if that's any help. Damn was sure it was a sully mainly from the legs with the spurs.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I thought it looked more like a desert tortoise from just that picture too. .. but I am still pretty new to the forum and it is just one picture.

Outatime

Wow, ok, so what should I do with him? Let him go near the field? or should I call someone ?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes that is a gopher tortoise . You need to put it back where you found him . It's important to make sure you put him where you found him . They are very territorial and will push out or even kill another tortoise . Pluss it is illegal to even touch one . So put him back and walk away . But good looking out .

Outatime

Think I will relocate him near the field, glad I noticed him even if he did **** all over my shorts. Someone could have run him over!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Am I clear on understanding? This newly "found" tort has been in the same enclosure exposed to your Sulcata?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
I think so Angela. People should know how to quarantine a new torts before introducing to our herd.