Fostering Tortoises

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I've signed up to help a (kind of) local reptile rescue who gets quite a few tortoises as a foster! I am pretty excited to be able to help and give them a good home while I can.

Quarantine period: How long is this typically? (if same breed I'd let them outside together)

When bringing in a new tortoise, do I need to change substrate every time? What else should I change when bringing in a new tortoise to an enclosure where another has lived?

Thanks!

Tyanna

Wisconsin
You would need to sanitize the container and start over fresh with each new inhabitant.

Thanks Yvonne, I was thinking so. Would I need to replace terra cotter saucers/hides or just sanitizing those would be enough? How long would you quarantine for?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just sanitize them. What are you fostering in aid of. For example are they to be adopted out? In that case, you would hope to foster for a very short while until new parents can be found. The longer a tortoise is in a foster situation, the harder it is for the tortoise to acclimate to a new home. My adoptees are by themselves for as long as I have them. The are never put with another tortoise.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Just sanitize them. What are you fostering in aid of. For example are they to be adopted out? In that case, you would hope to foster for a very short while until new parents can be found. The longer a tortoise is in a foster situation, the harder it is for the tortoise to acclimate to a new home. My adoptees are by themselves for as long as I have them. The are never put with another tortoise.

Yes, to be adopted out. I'm not yet familiar with how quick this rescue's torts get adopted out, but I actually might be interested in adopting a few myself, too.

I will plan not to put them with another tortoise, then. :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, to be adopted out. I'm not yet familiar with how quick this rescue's torts get adopted out, but I actually might be interested in adopting a few myself, too.

I will plan not to put them with another tortoise, then. :)
There are many rescue sites I visit regularly, and torts move trough pretty quickly. One day there was this adorable little russian on FoS (Friends of Scales) and the next he was gone, adopted, the notice said! So you may not need to wait long.
One thing I'd do is make sure the adoptees are well educated on how to care for said tort :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with sterilizing everything and changing things like the substrate, be sure you keep the animals separated as you won't know if they are sick. Also be sure to do a good job of washing your hands in between the different animals. Keep your UVB bulbs new, because most often these animals will be lacking having exposure to such lights or natural sunlight.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Along with sterilizing everything and changing things like the substrate, be sure you keep the animals separated as you won't know if they are sick. Also be sure to do a good job of washing your hands in between the different animals. Keep your UVB bulbs new, because most often these animals will be lacking having exposure to such lights or natural sunlight.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Perfect and very experienced advice being given above! :)

The one thing I would add is that I would use pyrex pie dishes rather than terra cotta anything in a rescue enclosure. You can pop the pyrex dish into the dishwasher to fully sanitize it, whereas a terra cotta dish is very porous. I actually use pyrex in all the tort enclosures. I get the pie dishes at Goodwill.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I didnt even know they fostered torts omg that is so cool

Some members in here have/are fostering tortoises temporarily for others members too. Which is so great, then folks don't have to give up their animals if something like going into the service, loss of a job, ect.., happens to them. :)

phebe121

Some members in here have/are fostering tortoises temporarily for others members too. Which is so great, then folks don't have to give up their animals if something like going into the service, loss of a job, ect.., happens to them. :)

This is amazing alot of people need to do this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Right. I've been fostering Dr. Cosmonaut's two RF tortoise for going on three years (that's two years longer than I was originally told). Pretty soon I'm going to have to start thinking of them as mine.

phebe121

Right. I've been fostering Dr. Cosmonaut's two RF tortoise for going on three years (that's two years longer than I was originally told). Pretty soon I'm going to have to start thinking of them as mine.

The only thing is when you start going there mine that person will be like im ready to have them back.i know ill ne.talling to my bf about this to see what he.thinks its just awesome

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Perfect and very experienced advice being given above! :)

The one thing I would add is that I would use pyrex pie dishes rather than terra cotta anything in a rescue enclosure. You can pop the pyrex dish into the dishwasher to fully sanitize it, whereas a terra cotta dish is very porous. I actually use pyrex in all the tort enclosures. I get the pie dishes at Goodwill.

Good idea, thank you!

There are many rescue sites I visit regularly, and torts move trough pretty quickly. One day there was this adorable little russian on FoS (Friends of Scales) and the next he was gone, adopted, the notice said! So you may not need to wait long.
One thing I'd do is make sure the adoptees are well educated on how to care for said tort :D

That's who I am going to be foster for - Friends of Scales in Illinois. :)

phebe121

Just looked at there site aww i wish i could adopt them all even know i dont live there im in love with one of the Russian torts